I have some rations in my BOB but that is extremely limited due to the size of the bag. My BOB is small, grabbable (is that a real word?), & runnable. That's my interpretation of what it is for & how it should be.
If I have a few extra seconds to spare, I can grab my rations carrier. It is a 4" X 2' piece of PVC piping, capped on 1 end and with a screw cap on the other end. A long carrying strap allows me to carry it around the neck and under 1 arm.
I have another, shorter PVC pipe (4" X 1.5') that I carry my cell phone exterior antenna/auxillary equipment in. Think about the Kim case, I have the ability to place an external antenna in a tree which allows me to send/resend a text msg to someone who may care.
Both of these seal up air & water tight so they can be used to carry water if that is where the need is.
IF there is time, then I also grab my ruck with more clothing, food, and other equipment in it.

PVC piping is very useful and like most things, your imagination is the limit, AND it is easier on a tight budget to be prepared!