As far as I can remember, I’ve been fiddling with my pocket-sized PSK (see Updated fishing/hiking PSK thread) so I could wear it on my person in wilderness scenarios. I wanted it to be pocked-sized so bad that I got really frustrated when it came to choosing a container to boil water in. I wanted something that would fit in a 5” x 7” polyurethane Aloksak waterproof bag. I've seen members using aluminium foil and oven bags, okay, but I wanted something sturdier… couldn’t find anything suitable.

Which got me thinking…

Some people have recommended a simple empty soup can to boil water in… I think that’s a great idea, definitely seems cheaper than a BCB mess tin or even a Primus LITECH kettle I was considering. The can could hold all my PSK items, including a large orange garbage bag… However, this kit would have to live in my backpack or fishing bag…

I know that there’s always is a risk that I might be separated from my backpack when hiking. I am aware that I could be left with nothing if my fishing boat flipped over and I found myself swimming for shore… But does that justify the pocket-size obsession? I NEVER leave my backpack when hiking, and I always have a fishing bag (and fishing buddy for that matter) around when I fish (water, gloves, food, etc…).

I’m giving the soup can PSK a shot and will only keep a BIC lighter, Photon and Victorinox One-handed Trekker on my person.

Any thoughts on this?