I'll be taking a two week vacation in the Republic of Ireland, mostly driving around Dingle, Kerry, and that region. One of our group (and my frequent back-country expedition companion) is a surgeon here in the U.S. He's in charge of the medical kit. What he brings on our primitive trips has significant prescription-only drugs, and some controlled substances (including injectables), syringes and needles, etc. He assures me that being an MD in the US, he can bring these with him in Ireland.
I assure him he's suffering from the delusion that the D in MD means Deity... and that he has no special place in Irish Law than any other tourist. Thus he should not assume that he won't have a problem if his kit is examined by customs or police in the Irish Republic.

Any Irish MD's on the forum? Anyone here have any actual factual data for me on this?

and PLEASE.. I know his kit is overkill for this trip..I'm usually Mr. Prepared myself, but for this trip I'm primarily concerned with finding every Irish Whiskey not found in the U.S... I'm not worried about emergency medical care in Ireland. I just want to be able to annoy my friend with the actual facts!