I've been contemplating how to store a supply of water for my family. I've been mulling over options for doing so and I'd like some ideas from others here. I found a Culligan 5 gallon dispenser with a spigot on it, and I was excited about it. My thought was to get several of them and to keep the supply fresh, use up the first jug (daily drinking water) and when that was empty, go to the next one in line, refill the empty one and put it at the end of the line. Unfortunately the spigot leaks quite a bit and I have decided to use something else.

I then thought about using something like a Rubbermaid water cooler. Again, probably 5 gallon size. Then the more I was reading on the forum, then more I thought it would be better to prep for two weeks of food and water in storage. For my family of four, two gallons per person per day, that's 56 gallons or 11 of the 5 gallon containers to equal 55. That's a lot of containers to shift.

I've seen 55 gallon barrels for water storage, but I'm not sure how the dispensing works, and then the potential problem of using a little of the water, then topping it off...I worried about most of it going bad.

The other thought I had was portability. If my wife were in need of taking some of this supply with her, it would be difficult for her to move the 5 gallon containers.

Also, for those of you that store water in your vehicle, how much do you store and how do you store it?

Thanks,