I keep an EZE-LAP pen type diamond sharpener with my EDC. Closed it is a little over four inches long. Mechanically it is not a very strong system and the cap must be taped to keep it closed. For my sheath knife, I wanted something a little stronger and longer. I purchased a Gerber Pocket Clip diamond rod at the local discount store. It has a thin aluminum outer case that is not practical for hard use. The rod itself is five inches long with half the length used as a handle. The round rod working end also has both a flat surface and a hook grove. I discarded the OEM pen holder.

I covered the handle portion of the rod with 1/4 inch diameter black heat shrink tubing after making a couple of circular groves in the rod to keep the tubing from slipping under hard use. I then purchased one foot of 9/32 inch diameter round brass tubing from my local True Value Hardware store for $1.49. I only needed about three inches since this will be used as a sheath for the working end of the diamond rod. I cut the tubing to length and then ruffed up the surface. I wanted to cover the brass tube to prevent clinking and light reflection. I covered the tubing with more of the 1/4 inch heat shrink. I also allowed the heat shrink to extend beyond both ends. Then I shrunk the tubing. I cut the shrunk heat shrink flush on one end and left a small surplus on the other end. That helps to keep the heat shrink from slipping on the brass tubing. The end with the surplus heat shrink was not plugged to allow for drainage.

The combination is silent, black in color, and strong. I attached it to the DK-10 sheath with three ranger bands. One near the top, one near the bottom, and one at the joint of the handle and the tubing sheath. One other benefit, although minor, is that it is smaller in diameter than with it’s original aluminum case. If you don’t like black heat shrink tubing, you can pick any color you like but I would avoid red especially when sharpening knives.