In March or April of 2005 I will be starting a program to teach prepardness to residents in my local community. I am hoping to get the local police, fire, EMS, local industry, and volunteer organizations involved. I work for the county health department as a public health preparedness planner. Part of my job is this public outreach and education. The other part consists of developing contingency plans for the health department and the community. For my plan to educate the public I want to put a small PSK into their hands. I have considered having the following gear to put into their packs:
Whistle
LED squeeze light
Small first aid kit:
AMK pocket medic style case or Ziploc type bag
Bandaids
Alcohol wipes

I don’t believe I can go much farther than this do to the fact of liability of handing medicine out (ie. Tylenol) or school safety (ie. matches, lighter). But I do want to put information into their hands and give them something to take away that will prepare them. My constraints are obviously budget and willingness for the community to accept what I am doing.

My goal is to promote preparedness, and to educate the community. In addition I am assisting my county emergency manager in setting up a civilian emergency response team (CERT) and a medical reserve corp (MRC). If you guys can give me any advice on how to develop my program and/or some other cheap ideas or suggestions for the kit or how to get stuff for the kit I would appreciate the input.

Thanks,

Jeremy