I picked up two new gadgets this week; a Schrade Simon knife and and CMG Sonic LED flashlight. Impressions below:

Schrade Simon

I really like the form factor, especially the mini-carabiner to attach to keychain or lanyard. Two drawbacks I can see: It is difficult to find a comfortable way to grip the knife where you feel you have it held securely. The other con is that the locking mechanism isn't very strong. It is relatively easy to overcome the locking mechanism with just the fingers of the hand you're holding the knife with. Those complaints aside, the Simon will make a nice backup to my Micra, and provide a blade for "rough duties" like opening cartons or slicing cordage. As a side note, the Simon comes with a great little mini-primer on how to sharpen a small blade, written on the back of the warrranty

CMG Sonic

Okay, I'll admit it - I don't own a ARC AAA, but I very much want one, if for no other reason than it seems to be a prerequisite to being a full-fledged member of this forum and the CandlePower forum. ;-) I'm very impressed with the Sonic, and it has become my EDC LED. I wear it clipped to a belt loop with a small carabiner for quick deployment in dark parking lots, under desks, and in the woods. The LED produces a smooth, artifact-free beam that has a narrower focus than other mini-LED lights, since the LED is somewhat recessed into the barrell. Brightness is approximately the same as the Infinity Ultra Task Light. Does anyone have both the Sonic and the ARC AAA to discuss a comparison?