I was out fishing last weekend and I decided to put down my rod and play, um, I mean practice with the fishing kit in my PSK, and I got to wondering a couple things I've seen on this board. The first is fairly straight forward, What is included in the GI fishing kit i've seen several people refer to? I've looked around a little but can't seem to put my finger on one.
Also, why do so many people put a gaff hook in thier PSK? I've been wondering about this for awhile now and can't figure it out on my own. The only time I've ever known gaffs to be used on a regular basis is when fishing for big game fish, especially salt water, that can't be lifted out of the water without breaking the line. If I was caught in a survival situation and had to go fishing, it would be for small panfish, bluegill and the like, which certainly wouldn't snap my line. Is this different in other geographic areas, would I be more likely to catch bigger fish if I were in another part of the country/world?
LIke I said, I just couldn't figure this one out on my own, thanks in advance for your help.

Chris.