Some thoughts...

Reporting on the Club fire in Rhode Island - Death toll 86 and counting

Associated Press and CNN Feb. 21, 2003:

Most of the bodies were found near The Station's front exit, some of them burned and others dead from smoke inhalation. Hall also said some appeared to have been trampled in the rush to escape.

"They tried to go out the same way they came in. That was the problem," Hall said. "They didn't use the other three fire exits."

and:

Brian Butler, another patron, was at the Providence-area Station nightclub, which was hosting a concert by the band Great White. He said many fans watching flames creep down the wall behind the band during its pyrotechnic display thought the fire was part of the show and didn't immediately panic.
Rena Gorschalies was one of them. "Someone said, 'Is that part of the show?' and I said, 'I think it is.'"

John Schmidt said the decision to leave quickly saved his life because the flames sprinted through the building. " I was very close to the door," he said. " I'm telling you right now, we wouldn't be having this conversation if I was in there another 20 seconds."

--------------

This is unfortunately a not uncommon occurrence. There is a documented natural tendency in an emergency to respond by fleeing the way you arrived, even when that's not the sensible thing to do. Don't allow yourself to become an unnecessary victim. ALWAYS review your potential exit paths when entering a room or building. This may not just be doors, but may include windows that can be broken by throwing a chair through them.

There may not be a flight attendant to remind you where the exits are and to look behind you because your nearest exit may not be in front of you, but you should do it yourself anyway.

DO NOT GO WITH THE FLOW! At least not automatically. THINK first! Proceed to the nearest available exit that you have previously identified unless other circumstances interfere.

Finally, he who hesitates may be lost. Seconds can make a difference. If something strikes you as unusual or odd, don't automatically assume it's OK. Look closer and think critically. If there's something going on that's potentially dangerous, get the hell out of there. This isn't an invitation to panic, just to THINK critically about what goes on around you and act decisively.

Your most fundamental survival tool is your brain -- use it!
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com