Ron, Survival references are numerous, and with the wide variety of environments a collection is almost neccessary for full reference. If you have 3 good authorities agree that North is at the top of a map, then it's a fact you can rely on! but it's the obsolescent and downright erroneous texts that can KILL! I started out with How To Stay Alive In The Woods by Bradford Angier. I realized later that much of his material was plagiarized and anecdotal, poorly organized and sometimes dangerous! This book is still in print. Another pet peeve of Doug and myself is Doctor Bombarde. The good doctor made a solo 55 day raft trip to research marine survival in the mid 50's. His research is the basis for French Naval survival texts. One problem: He postulated people can safely drink small steady amounts of sea water. This 'theory' was further promoted by Thor Hyderthal during the Kon-Tiki expedition. I can assuredly state this doesn't work and people have DIED trying! There is also the issue of hidden agendas,egos and credibility among the 'experts'. I want information, not extreme politics, spiritual revelation or steely eyed Gurus . Maybe I should write a pamphlet, How to survive survival resources !LOL<br><br>