Last night, I spent an hour and a half in the backyard in the freezing rain. It was a "Spend 3 Hours in the Rain" challenge on Bushcraft USA. It sounds crazy but it was a great test of my rain gear and the theory of my worst-case contingency plans. Hypothermia comes on subtly and this thought was foremost in my mind.

Here's a copy of my after action report:

I hated camping in the rain when I first did it. Then I learned how to hang a tarp and build a fire in wet conditions, and then I didn't mid the rain. I hated my first winter camping experience. Then I learned how to dress for the weather, how to make a good shelter and sleep warm, and then I really liked it. The same thing will hopefully be said of combining the two and enjoying rain in freezing conditions. smile

Yesterday I learned that:

*My cold weather rain gear is good, I just need to work on my layering.

*I need to practice my taut-line hitch. I didn't need it yesterday, but it's come to my attention recently that I've forgotten how to tie it and it's required for tarp hanging.

*I can't just sit on the ground, even with my ThermARest Z-seat. A stool or chair make me much happier.

*If I overnight, my bed has to be well insulated from the ground too.

*My body hates cold & damp. I need more thermal layers if I'm going to be sitting still, and I need to do less sitting still. Layering is key! Adding more warm stuff to my kits, including chemical hand and body warmers.

*Boredom is a factor for me. Being in the forest or at a lake, instead of the backyard, would probably have helped. I could have carved or cooked, but didn't because my hands were cold.

*I need to protect my hands more. I need more functional gloves. My mitts are awesome but bulky and my leather gloves aren't warm enough.

*I prefer to have overhead cover. If I have a little dry area to hang out in, especially with a fire, and also where I can cook/brew comfortably, I am generally a happy camper.

*I love looking for tinder when everything's soaked. LOL! It's a good skill to practice. If I was truly in a situation, I couldn't have enough. I should have done that yesterday instead of just sitting and watching the tree.

*I'd rather learn to love the weather than hide from it inside. wink

Have you voluntarily tested your theoretical plans against reality? How did it go?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA