I searched around here and on a few other forums and found little, to no discussion on perhaps one of the least prepared for public emergencies that could occur. We can have plans in place for wild fires, tornados, and hurricanes, etc.... But from a terrorist perspective one "event" that would have federal/state and local authorities in OUR country scrambling is a nuclear event. The objective (real) danger would be potentially smallish (depending), and yet would leave the general public in hysterics, and scrambling to understanding their risk and how to even proceed. The SUBJECTIVE (percieved) danger would VERY high. In this spirit I have begun a collection and understanding of pertinant issues of NBC events and how to protect my young family at least for the 1-3 months while things "cool down". We cannot know who, what, where, when, but there are some general things one can do to be knowlegable, and even slightly more prepared. I would likely to begin at least a general dialog that would surpass the government's "Duct tape and plastic" solution (quite funny actually). Some countries have historically had quite comprehensive NBC shelters (Swiss, and Russian). The historc arguements of "Mutually Assured Destruction" MAD, worked with the Soviets, but today there is no "other" to "destroy". Also, missing and prolilfic "nucs" floating around, and terrorists seeking them. Makes for a very bad "cocktail".

I am not fear mongering, just thinking prudently, and attempting to create some degree of preparedness. I am VERY surprised some "officals" dont at least recognize the risk more publically.

Ironwood (former Army SpecOps targeting guy)

Edited by Ironwood (06/13/12 01:50 AM)