For years I have been buying the Total Resources International first aid kits from my local Sam's Club for $21.63, including tax, to modify for missionaries and church-sponsored mission trips. The plastic case is sturdy, with room for some modifications, and the quality of the components is acceptable.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/first-aid-center-326-pieces/196928.ip?navAction=push

I have looked at other kits; this one still offers the best bang for the buck. Here are the contents of the kit, prior to modification:

21 Antiseptic Towelettes
36 Alcohol Pads
06 Sting Relief Pads
06 Antibiotic Ointment Packets
06 Burn Cream Packets
05 Antacid Packets
05 Aspirin Packets
05 Non-aspirin Packets
01 English First Aid Guide
01 Spanish First Aid Guide
01 Instant Cold Compress
20 Adhesive Bandages, 1 in x 3 in
60 Adhesive Bandages, ¾ in x 3 in
50 Adhesive bandages, 3/8 in x 1-1/2 in
10 Butterfly Bandages
18 Wound Closure Strips
02 Gauze Rolls, 2 in x 4 yd
02 Eye Pads
08 Sterile Gauze Pads, 2 in x 2in
04 Sterile Gauze Pads, 4 in x 4 in
01 Sterile Trauma Pad, 5 in x 9 in
30 Cotton Tip Applicators
01 Adhesive Tape Roll, 1 in x 5 yd
01 Triangular Bandage, 40 in x 40 in x 56 in
05 Finger Splints
04 Examination Gloves
01 Metal Scissors
01 Plastic Tweezers

This year I have modified kits for Guatemala, one for Africa and I will be modifying another one India later this year.

This year modifications I have made this year have included the following which I ordered from Chinook Medical Gear. For each kit I have included:

01 Irrigation Syringe, 60 cc
02 Benzoin Swabs
01 Povidone-Iodine 10% Solution
05 Diomode Packets
05 Diotame Packets
05 Diphenhydramine (Antihistamine) Packets
02 Oral Rehydration Salts
01 Elastic Bandage, 3 in
05 Knuckle Bandages

Including the Diotame is overkill but I will continue to use my supply until I run out and I am still undecided on the Oral Rehydration Salts.

The two first aid guides (one English, one Spanish) are one-sheet pieces of paper, printed front and back, with a place for emergency phone numbers. Though they take up almost no room, they are almost useless for a third-world country. If I replace them, it will be with a used copy of a real first aid book.

Ideas for future modifications include Non-Adherent Pads, safety pins, duct tape, moleskin, either a pencil or a fine-point Sharpie, patient assessment form, CPR shield, Digital Thermometer, an additional Trauma Pad and Triangular Bandage. If room will allow it, a SAM Splint as well.

I always tell the missionaries or mission group to leave what is left of the kit behind for a group that needs it. I want each kit to be able to provide for, at minimal, a group of ten.

Does anyone have ideas for how to build a better ten-person first aid kit for a third-world country, know of guidelines on how to do so, know of a good place to buy quality components on a budget or build a good kit on a budget?

Note: I am not associated with any of the companies I have mentioned.

Jeanette Isabelle