OK...just got my Eton Grundig FR200. As most here already know, it has AM, FM, Shortwave 1 & Shortwave 2. Truthfully, I'd prefer a unit made with all of the available bands...those listed above as well as VHF and NOAA. As it is, you would have to buy two models to get them. C'est la vie! The oddity is the dial for the radio bands...it is HUGE compared to all of the other controls. It would seem a sliding switch...like that for Power Source might be better.

I especially like the neon yellow-orange color...easy to see/find. It comes wit a vinyl carrying case, limited warranty, and a small manual...in several languages (English, French, German, Spanish, & Italian) about 12 pages per language.

The single LED is fair...I probably wouldn't use it much, but it's interesting nonetheless. I'd use the photon freedom I've clipped to it! Wanna use the light via crank? The website says you'll need to continuously crank the unit. Since they recommend using the crank only in emergencies, that doesn't seem effective or practical.

The website quote "When the emergency use factor is understood, this product is excellent for that purpose." --doesn't exactly make me swell with confidence. I understand it's an emergency radio, I just hope it's up to being used a lot under normal conditions.

In addition, apparently you can use AC power with a power cord (not included...now gotta find them). But the jack for the AC says "DC 4.5 V" and the manual calls it the "DC jack". According to the company website at:

http://www.etoncorp.com/faqsection/?p_sectionid=2099

you'll see that it takes 2 minutes of cranking for an hour of radio play. What bothers me is that according to their site, you should only use the crank in an emergency. That doesn't leave me confident of the long-term use prospects of a radio option...especially an emergency option. However, it allows for several other power options. Now to see if I can find a decent solar carger. Anyone?

BTW, on the subjct of AC adapters...it mentions that one comes with the FR200G model only. There is no mention of getting the cord from them separately. However, they do say:

" The rechargeable Ni-MH (nickel-metal-hydride) battery pack is
installed and fully charged at the factory. To use this radio with AC
power, an AC Adaptor is needed. When purchasing an AC Adaptor,
it must meet the following specifications:
Output of 4.5 volt DC; negative polarity; 80-100 milliamperes
current capability; plug tip outer diameter of 3.4 millimeter, inner
diameter of 1.3 millimeter.

For the FR200G Model, a proper AC Adaptor is included.

An AC Adaptor of 80-100 milliamperes, as noted above, should
charge the radio in approximately 8 hours, after which the adaptor
can be left plugged in if desired and the battery will not overcharge.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If using an AC adaptor rated higher than
80-100 milliamps, or one other than that included with the FR200G,
do not allow it to charge for more than two hours and unplug the
AC adaptor after charging. If using such an AC adaptor to continuously
power the radio, unplug the internal rechargeable battery. "

OK...so where does one find an acceptable charging cord with those specs?

I guess the takehome message is that I think I like these little units. The questions I have are:

1) Where does one find an acceptable AC charging cord with thee specs mentioned above?

2) Given the answers for #1, anyone know of any small & portable solar panel/regulator/cord system that would work with this?

Thoughts, questions, reviews, gripes?