For me, this is validation for being big on redundancy in flashlights and always having at least one, preferably more (Doug's e-Picos are great backups and they fit in a dressy clutch purse). A little headlamp, like the diminutive Petzl Zipka would be priceless in this situation.

Safety certainly did not appear to be first with this particular ship. Sounds like this incident would be an interesting case study in survival psychology - especially those who heeded incompetent commands by crew, and those who did not.

God help disabled people in these kinds of disasters. What a horror.

We had a lengthy discussion of cruise ship EDC after one was stranded for days by power failure in the Pacific (Mexico, as I recall). I didn't see that thread in a cursory search but will look again. Next to a flashlight, think I'd make carrying a whistle a priority - at all times. And my passport, a credit card and cash....

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/euro...ry.html?hpid=z2

"Passengers described a scene reminiscent of “Titanic”, saying they escaped the ship by crawling along hallways, desperately trying to reach safety as the lights went out..."

"... the experience was like a disaster movie."