An interesting story in this morning's paper:
Wife stops moose stomping with shovel

As I've noted in other posts, moose aren't usually agressive, but can be dangerous if they are agitated. It is quite common to see moose, especially in winter. Generally, if you just leave them alone and keep your distance there is no problem.

A couple of years ago my wife and I had a scary encounter one night when skiing on one of our local in town trails. We inadvertently got too close to a mamma moose and baby. Our dog may also have agravated mamma. No one got stomped, but it was tense for a minute.

Some years back (in the 90's I think), a man was stomped to death on the UAA campus. It was inadvertently caught on video, which I saw at an wildlife safety class. (Someone can probably find it on Youtube.) He was new to Alaska, and was just walking by on the sidewalk, close to the moose. The moose turned and started kicking him. He went down and the moose started to turn away. He started to get back up, obviously disoriented, and the moose turned and stomped him to death. It turned out that some people had been throwing snow balls at the moose earlier.