I know we have a lot of experienced outdoor travellers here so I figured I could get some wisdom from you guys.

I have used a Suunto M3 Global compass for a while. I have an old Suunto MCA mirror compass which is not as nicely made but I enjoyed using the mirror for some long distance sighting. So I ordered Suunto's flagship model MC-2 Global from Amazon for a good price. I know, a $15 model should suffice, I just like compasses.

Well imagine my surprise to find that the MC-2 is darn hard to read, because the line inscribed down the middle of the mirror is very, very faint. In perfect lighting conditions you can just make it out, but otherwise it is a bear to line things up. At least, compared to the heavier line on the chintzy MCA, which ironically is much easier to read.

I looked at several other MC2 compasses in a local store and they have the same very thin line, so I don't think mine is an anomaly.

Have any of you seen this? It makes me consider swapping out the MC-2 for a Silva Ranger (which in the USA is not even a real Silva anymore), though that gives up some features I like on the Suunto. But dangit, if reading the compass is a pain then those other features become a bit useless. It's hard to imagine a way to accurately darken up the line without ruining the mirror.

Last ditch option (maybe) is to order a real Silva from Europe via a British website or something, though they say in North America, Brunton is the "real" Silva but I hear the Bruntons aren't as solid as they used to be.