Originally Posted By: hikemor
It is one thing to use natural tinder in the southwest, especially Arizona,

I quoted this from another thread because it reminded me of something I wanted to bring up last year, but forgot.

We are building a retirement home east of Sierra Vista, AZ at the moment. We are south of Highway 90 and just east of the San Pedro River. The evacuation order the last couple of days included the area west of the river up to the 90 and pre-evacuation on our side. We’re not there yet, so it’s no problem.

The reason for the post is, when we were there last summer, I was checking the tire pressures on the SUV and the top of my foot stared stinging…BAD. I was looking for an ant or scorpion. I didn’t see anything. I bent down to put the cap back on and got stung again. I looked at my foot and there was a bright spot on it. The wheel cover was reflecting a concentrated beam of sunlight on my foot. It’s quite possible that even something as simple as wheel coverings or clear bottles of water could start a fire in that hot, dry, climate.

I don’t think that’s the case in the three large fires in AZ, but it’s something to be aware of. And, no, I have not changed the wheel covers, yet. But I plan to.