I hope I'm not black listed for the following comment, cry but here goes...

I don't know how many times I've read on this forum "If I get into trouble, I'll just use my PLB". Problem solved right? Wrong!

I know the majority in our community are very well versed and prepared. But I sure hope the few others reading our posts don't look at a PLB as there free ticket home. There is a very good chance if you're stuck somewhere, that your rescue can't get to you right away either. This is where the 72-96 hour part comes into play. If you broke a leg on a solo hike, rescue is likely under a day away. Then you can be ridiculed on the news and sites like this for hiking alone. If you are stuck in a nasty snow storm, it could be days before anyone gets to you; regardless of your mighty PLB.

So, while one of the greatest advances in personal rescue, a PLB is less useful than a deactivated cell phone (with reception) that can only call 911 (yea, a PLB will have reception 100 times over any cell phone) but the point is, your only saying HELP. I hope anyone reading these forums will remember that. Whether your mentality is 1911 then 911, or whatever, be prepared to take care of yourself.

Click to reveal..
Long, long time ago -> HELP!
Long time ago -> The sound of a whistle...
Years ago -> SOS or radio communication
Yesterday -> Cell phone calls 911
Today -> PLB