Stay tuned, Michael Neiger, lead invistigator of the Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue (MiBSAR) says he's "...currently finishing up a months-long primer on the UTM system, which works so smoothly with Ranger Pacing Beads. At some point, I hope to revise and update the pacing bead primer and move it to my new SAR site (http://therucksack.tripod.com/MiBSAR/MiBSAR.htm)". If you are not aware of Michael's Rucksack website check it out! There is so much information on all things outdoors; and it is where I learned to use pacing beads many years ago. Until this new primer is available, the one linked below is GREAT!
http://therucksack.tripod.com/landnav.htm#pacecounting

Also, I'm happy to share that my Michigan Backcountry Search and Rescue (MiBSAR) Ranger Pace Counter Beads, developed with key input from Michael Neiger (MiBSAR's Lead Investigator) have passed months of rigorous field testing with flying colors! Michael wrote me “…as for your paracord-based Ranger pacing beads, after months of real-world field testing they came through several SAR field operations, a 9-day Canadian Expedition to Soldier Mountain, and a 6-day trek through the remote McCormick Wilderness Tract with flying colors. They have withstood repeated deep-water crossings, day-long downpours, temps to 100 degrees, and abuse against trees, brush, rocks, mud, and bedrock with no sign of wear or change in function.

I really appreciate the snug fit of the unbreakable beads on the pace cord as nothing but a firm grip will move them, which could really foul up a technical land nav operation. And the slightly-larger separator beads make it very easy to pull or reset the pacing beads without stopping to look at them, especially while underway or during night operations.

They're the best I've used in the bush, and all I ever carry anymore. Keep up the innovative work.

Hope our Special Ops forces are using these as they're so much better than some of the fragile, loose-fitting commercial stuff available.”