I didn’t want to hijack the thread on alcohol stoves, but it spurred me to ask a question I have been wondering about for some time.

I have a Svea 123 stove that is probably older than many of our members. I use and have used Coleman fuel (naptha) exclusively. In theory, it can also use “white gas,” which I understand to be unleaded gasoline.

While unleaded gas is now the norm, around here it is now 10% ethanol. The pumps that dispense it have warnings to “ask inside” before using it in marine engines. (We live near a big boating area.) This causes me to wonder if this stuff can be, or should be, used in a simple gasoline stove like the Svea. I would hate to damage/destroy this stove at this late date.

I understand that in an emergency you would have to make do, and worry about the damage later, but I still would like to know if the 10 gallons of gas I usually keep stored could fuel the stove also if circumstances required it.

A further complication is that my stored gas has also had Sta-bil added to it at twice the normal dose to further extend the life of the gas. This is now an option described on the label.

Any thoughts?