A recent post about mounting a Res-Q-Me tool got me thinking about a trick I use to identify important switches in my vehicles and machinery. Many of these switches need to be activated while driving or during a high stress situation.

I place small pieces of sticky-sided white velcro on top of the buttons so they are not only easier to see, but I can feel the button, therefore keeping my eyes on the road or situation. Two different buttons on the same panel can be marked seperately with "sharp" hook or "soft" loop velcro. I use black velcro if I do not want to visually draw attention to the button.

In my vehicles I use velcro to identify the radio frequency change button, emergency light buttons and on the lock side of the door lock button.

I regularly drive 3 different vehicles made by 3 different manufactures (Ford, Chev, Toyota) and the door lock buttons are different on each one. Now I just feel for the prickly velcro as I exit the vehicle, without even thinking about which vehicle I am using (I do not use a key fob remote as my keys ring is already too huge).

Years ago I had a bottle of Glow-In-The-Dark fishing jighead paint, it was also good to visually highlight switches.

Any other tips on identifying important switches/buttons?

Mike