I am posting this idea here to see if anyone can run with it. First the "legal stuff" I am putting this idea/concept here for those of you on this list to take it and run with it. I think that this is a GREAT idea, but that is just me.

Most, if not all, of us here have taken the time to do due diligence in making survival kits, BOBs, and Get Home kits. For the most part I am wiling to bet that they don't float. This is where my thought comes into play.

Companies like Mustang have suspender styled life vests. The concept was to take the suspender styled life vest that opens when submerged and attaching it as either suspenders for your but pack styled kit or for your kit.

The reasoning for this is when you’re over or near water and your kit falls into the water you don't watch your life line fall to the bottom. After the auto open is submerged enough it would deploy the buoyancy device and thus your kit would be floating. Once you get your wits about you, you can grab your kit and swim to safety.

I came up with this idea when I wanted a less bulky alternative to what I do when I go over water. When I go around water my survival kit has its own Life Vest. This way if it goes over, I can recover it.

The logical aspect is that the buoyancy of the "life vest" would have to be enough to compensate for your bag. My survival kit weighs in at about 25 pounds (don't ask, and YES I know it is heavy) so I would have to find a buoyancy device that equals or exceeds that weight.

So, that is my idea.