So I'm out running an errand last night, and I come across a man lying in the middle of the road. There was quite a bit of blood. Apparently, he'd been hit, badly, by a car that had fled the scene. I call in a trauma alert, grab my first aid kit and start to glove up. Each glove I pull on instantly tears! I went through at least 10 gloves before I had two working ones, and one of those tore up by the wrist. The thing is, I already knew that gloves stored in my kit decayed fairly rapidly, and I'd checked things not that long ago, but obviously not recently enough! Drat! I hate it when I have only myself to blame.

Other observations: My "suction device" consisting of a 60cc syringe attached to 8" of suction tubing worked well to clear blood from the oropharynx. Wished I'd had a BVM (the squeeze bag to face mask thingie) since he went into respiratory arrest before the first fire/rescue folks arrived, although I do have a pocket mask. I probably need to add a reflective safety vest. My tiny AAA Fenix penlight gave all the light I really needed.

Edited by Jeff_McCann (05/06/09 02:24 PM)