A few days in another thread, I posted about some egg carton and candle wax fire tinders that I make. Off forum it was requested if I could show them here. I created a batch today so here goes.

The actual work time was less then 15 minutes, with multiple photo taking, it stretched to 35 minutes.

Start with old candle wax pieces, an egg carton, wooden matches, string, and some wood shavings, sawdust etc. I ended up using 3 cans of wax and roughly 2x the amount of wood shavings then shown here.

While the candle wax is melting, add some wood shavings into the egg carton. Break the wooden matches into 2-3 pieces and also add to the egg carton....no sense wasting them.

Once the wax is melted, dip the string in and let sit for a minute or two.

Repeat this process one more time and let the wax harden.

Pour the wax over the egg carton.

Continue pouring the wax until the carton is just about filled.

Add some more wood shavings. The match ends also need to be dipped a couple of times into the wax.

Let the wax harden slightly then stick 2 match ends in each compartment. Even though it is not really needed (I added as another possible option) the waxed string from above can also be cut into pieces and added as wick to each egg compartment.

Let harden for awhile then break the egg carton into 12 pieces.

As you can see, the wax does good job of finding coating the cardboard and also serves to make the cardboard more water resistant and allows for easier re-lighting when wet....more on this in Part II