This is my first new topic, so I would ask the administrators to review and modify as needed.

This topic is the result of Martin Focazio's post on Correct Risk Assessment and the recent fires in Southern California. I love playing with my survival toys (gear), but I am not likely to take the risks in a hike to need the skills and tools. I will continue to hike prepared, but there are more likely risks I needed to address. Most of you are better prepared than I am, but I would ask each to seriously consider the most likely emergency to occur while at home, and prepare. You probably spend more time at “home” than anywhere else, so the probability of an emergency while at home could be high.

A fire was a likely emergency that would occur while I was at home, so I needed a kit for leaving the house in case of fire. The fire could occur within the house while I was sleeping, or it could occur due to an outside fire. Such a kit would vary depending upon the person, so my kit suggestions are general to help each person to think through their own kit. The kit is located next to my bed in a day pack, to allow easy access in case of fire in the house while I am sleeping. It is important for the kit to be low, so I can roll out of bed and get to the kit in case of fire.

Items:
1. Clothes for one to two days, including shoes, which are appropriate for the season. Toilet kit, etc. Think a weekend in a hotel, since you are likely to end up in a hotel, with family, or in a shelter.
2. Documents important for restarting life. Phone numbers of family, friends, work, etc. I have scanned insurance policies, financial records, birth certificates, passports, driver’s licenses, etc. I put the files into an encrypted file on a flash drive. I sent a spare to a trusted family member, and I keep a spare in the safety deposit box. (Hope my bank doesn’t go under, and I can’t get to the box for awhile!) The file is encrypted for our protection. Photos have been backed up to DVD disc, with spares in the safety deposit box and with the trusted family member. Blast had a great post on documentation.
3. I keep my wallet, keys, etc, in a Spec Ops Pack Rat, which goes into the outside pocket of the pack each night. It helps me find everything when I get up at 3am each day, and I don’t disturb the wife as much, since there is no need for light. (Expensive, but I have used it daily for over five years, so cost per use is low.)
4. I keep a small battery powered radio in the bag. I use one with the same batteries as my flashlight. You will learn more from the local radio news people than those who run the shelters, based upon a past experience.
5. I keep a 3W LED flashlight on an outside pouch. I keep a pair of leather gloves and a Stanley FUBAR next to the bag in case I need to make my own exit path. We have a family rally point, and everyone has critical phone numbers in their cell phones. (I have teenagers.)
6. A few toys (signal mirror, whistle, paperback book, six-in-one screwdriver, utility knife, 6 inch adjustable wrench, six inch needle nose pliers, electrical ties, duct tape, 50 ft paracord, two 45 gallon trash liners, etc.), spare glasses, and a small first aid kit with hand sanitizer.

It has not been much fun scanning all the files, etc., but my family and I are better prepared. I need to add a roll of quarters, since most vending machines will need quarters. After a few more dry runs “living” out of my bag for a weekend, I am likely to make some more changes. My son now has his own bag, but the wife and daughter see no need for such foolishness. Hopefully they are correct, but I sleep better with these preparations.

I hope this post gets each to look at likely risks and be prepared, as compared to playing preparedness, which is what I often have done. I would appreciate any suggestions for improvements.

Spud