I'm thinking about building kits for my folks for Christmas. This is partially a get home bag, partially break down bag. They carry real jumper cables, flares, triangle, real jack, and a real tire, but my mother only keeps a blanket and boots in her car and my dad doesn't add that much in his truck. *eye roll* They both have DeLorme map books in their vehicles.

For a carry all, I've got a pair of small Jansport school packs. I also have a pair of German-pattern mess tins that I would put in there for the carrying capacity and for snow melting/water boiling. The list, as many will notice, is based on Cody Lundin's, with a few modificications:

2x 1qt Nalgenes. I've got a bunch of wide mouth, 1 qt polycarbs, some unused. I'm thinking I might add a Geyout stainless if I've got the funds.

1x Olicamp/GSI cup.
Chlorine dioxide tablets.

Lighter.
Lacquered strike anywheres matches.
Doans' mag bar, cut down, with striker.
Ziplock of cotton balls.
Tube of Neosporin.
Small taper candles, double bagged.

Minimag with the Nite-Ize drop in, and two pairs of batteries.
SAK. I've got a couple of Climbers that I'm not using.
Pair of needle nose pliers, with wire cutter.

20' of wire
100' of paracord
Duct tape (not on the bottles)
Aluminum foil

Plastic whistle
Mirror

Fleece blanket, but I'm thinking about upping it to wool.
2x space blankets
Tarp (not sure what size)
Poncho, and a spare

Brew kit (probably two tea bags, two pouches of hot chocolate, two pouches of cider, four coffee bags, 4 creamers- neither of them put sugar in their coffee)

What have I missed?

NOW, in my dad's defense, he was the one who thought the generator was a good idea, and he's the one that is looking into adding solar to the house so at the very least they can charge a battery backup for the water pump. He's also the one who buys two extra cords of wood every year. He's not totally out of it, he just doesn't EDC much. The thinest wallet in the family, and his keys.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.