I had posted the following on another forum. Posting here to share my experience.

For the past few days, I noticed a smell of something burning. I had went around my house several times but just could not locate the source of the smell.

Last night, while I was reading my papers. Suddenly, the light went off and all airconditioner, electronics devices stopped working. I immediately deploy my E2D which was my regular EDC to check the circuit breaker and grab my mobile phone to call for an electrican.

While waiting for the electrican to arrive, I intended to deploy Osram lanterns and Dot-It as my area lights. 1 Osram lantern in common living area and another in the kitchen. One Dot-It for each bathrooms.

The Osram lantern is my emergency area lights, hence both lantern has fresh Energizer e2 Lithium AA. I had tested them before putting away for long term storage. Hence, I was very surprise when 1 of them has a weak beam & nearly flat batteries.

I am fully aware that my son had been playing with the 2 Osram Dot-It, so I would need to replace their batteries as well.

Finding out your light need a battery change in the dark is no fun and worse, I do not have enough spare for the change. Each Osram lantern requires 4 AA battery while each Dot-It requires 3 AAA.

I only had 2 primary AA and 1 or 2 dozen rechargable AA/AAA that not holding a charge. I was left staring at the battery charger and rechargeable batteries. I am a little disappointed with my rechargeable batteries because I had actually recharge the entire lot less than 7 days ago. The self discharge rate was so high that none had enough charges to light up the Osram lantern. Had no choice but to make a trip to the nearest 24hrs convenience store to buy additional primary AA & AAA batteries.

Inova 24x7 was also put into service for a while, for navigating from room to room and it was really useful when I change battery for other lights.

I also put in fresh battery for the Old version of Inova T1 and Pelican M6 LED. Then give the T1 to my wife while I carried the Pelican M6 LED.

The electrican took 3 hours to reach my house from the time I called. He had one of those big 6V Everready flashlight with a weak beam that he was about to use to check my circuit breaker. To assist him, I switch on my modded Mag 2C with 3x CR123. His immediate comment was my light was very bright and switch off his EVerready. He found loose electrical cables which cause 2 circuit breaker to melt a little. It took him close to an hour to replace both burnt circuit breakers and ensure all cables are correctly wired and tighten.

Lesson learnt, I need to get more LED based lights for the extended runtime. My choice will be Inova 24/7 for the handfree convenience and Osram lanterns for the soothing cool white light.

I may have to keep some primary AA/AAA on hand, seem that rechargeable batteries is not so useful in a power failure situation. The inconvenience of having to do reqular recharge, just seem too much of a hassle.

Except for my E2D which seem some action, there was no need for me to deploy the rest of my Surefires or dipped into my supply of 200~300 CR123A. If the power failures had been longer, I will have to deploy my Surefire L1 & A2.

I am very thankful the damaged was limited to 2 circuit breaker and no open flames. In fact, 1 of the thing that I had purchased in the past year is a fireproof rating safe to store some of my important documents. While the rest of important stuff are in off site storage.