I may be deploying overseas again as early as 09. Obviously the concept of survival takes on a whole new meaning and my thoughts will change from what to do if lost in the cold of Alberta while hunting to what to do if my chopper goes down in 50 deg cel heat. The Enemy is always the biggest threat, but the discussion of army tactics etc does not apply here and is best left for other forums. My second biggest threat to survival will be running out of water. This has happened on a few occasions and if resupply had not made it to us when it did things may have gone real bad. Being weak, dizzy and unsteady on your feet and wearing 50 pounds of gear with and empty camelbak is a very, very horrible feeling. There is a good supply of sun where I will be going, and water is issued in plastic bottles to resupply our canteens or camelbaks etc. Even though water is scarce there are a number of rivers that I remember but the water quality is VERY questionable to say the least. Although the locals drink it regularly, I know I would get quite sick due to all the little nasties that I am not used to. I will have a good supply of clear plastic bottles and plenty of sun, so my question is about the SODIS method to make water safe to drink(from germs at least). Does anyone here have any real experience and knowledge with this ? Does it actually work? I have read a few articles but I am a bit cautious on this subject. Where I live fresh water is easy to find so this topic is something I will only face when deployed.
Any info is appreciated.