Hi,

A bit of background- I want to buy a sleeping bag. A good one, for year-round use (which basically means I am concerned with keeping warm in winter). I want to use it in New Zealand, where the lowest temperature in winter in my area is around -10°C or so (about 14°F), but usually only a few degree below freezing. I plan to buy a Claytor Jungle Hammock and some sort of thin insulating pad, and I intend to go out and use the hammock anytime of year, but not in awful cold weather if I can avoid it, and not in an area where I am likely to get 'stuck'. However, as a radio amateur I want to prepare myself to assist in Search and Rescue and be able to camp out any time of year (which happens a lot in New Zealand, when people get, um, 'stuck'). As a radio operator I would be placed at base camp, which is generally a public camp site, but it could be anywhere including exposed places.

I have identified three concerns:

1) Down or Synthetic?

2) Temperature rating.

3) Cost.

For item one, I understand the pros and cons of each (down lasts well and packs small, but synthetic will work even when damp). I think I want a small packing size, but it does get damp in NZ.

For item two, I have found a potential bag rated to -6°C, but it is not described as '4 season'. I think it would be adequate for my needs (I wouldn't choose to go out on a -6°C night, but occasionally might be asked to). I intend to get a silk liner for the sleeping bag, which is supposed to improve the rating by 5°C (i.e. down to -11°C), but is that the correct interpretation? If I got cold, I could just wear more layers, right?

The third point is important but not critical. That is to say, I don't mind paying a reasonable amount of money for something that will work properly. I don't want to spend too much on unnecessary features, and I don't want to spend too little and end up with something not quite suitable.

I am living in Japan right now, and I can get hold of just about any equipment. It seems to be an envious position, but really it's overwhelming. I am willing to do the research, but I'd like some practical advice on what to look for, and what to ignore. For example, MontBell's gimmick is the 'mummy back' which has internal elastication to hug the bag to you as you move around, thus eliminating pockets of air inside the bag.

(Oh, and I should say I usually camp in a tent, with a self-inflating mat and an inadequate sleeping bag. Sleeping in a hammock appeals to me, and the sleeping bag must be replaced, but I could use it in summer I suppose).

Thanks in advance,

A