Keeping important information in one place is an invaluable tool and having it backed up is just as important. While reading the business section a couple of Sundays ago, I came across an article by syndicated columnist Humberto Cruz called "An organized list of Finances is best legacy".
Among his suggestions were a word document titled "Read this if I am dead" which lists all acounts and assets, individuals to be contacted, like the SSA, where the important documents are and how to access them etc...even how to operate the sprinkler system.

He pointed out a tool that he was impressed with- The Family Records Organizer CD Rom by T Rowe Price. I just got it (5 working day turn around- pretty impressive).
I agree with him: It is easy to use, interactive, educational and it beats the competitor price. Its free and you don't have to be a customer to request it at www.troweprice.com/getorganized.
Basically it is the same info I have been asked to compile by most financial planners over the years, but finally in a format that is computer friendly. It also has encription and password protection, even though the data is only stored on my PC.
Do I expect that I will be contacted one day by T Rowe Price? I didn't leave my phone number...if I do get contacted, I can handle it! I was very pleased that they built this without internal advertising for their products... I am pretty pleased with the tool, and no I don't have a vested interest in T Rowe!

Edited by capsu78 (11/13/07 09:34 PM)