I've run across a number of people who swear that putting ground black (or cayenne) pepper on a cut is the best treatment for small wounds.

First they clean the wound thoroughly, dry it, and apply the pepper which supposedly prevent further bleeding, seals the wound, and promotes faster healing. I've seen it done and it appears to work, but I'm not convinced that there is any more to it than just applying an absorbent powder, and that many other things would have the same effect. It's also only done on small cuts, so the "miracle healing effects" may be imagined (it would look fine the next day and there would be no scar from it regardless).

I'm also not convinced that it's a particularly good idea. While as a food product it's pretty safe for us, I don't really think that it has any benefits in preventing infection or assisting in the healing process.

Does anyone here have any experience or knowledge of this which would validate or invalidate putting pepper on a cut as a sound method of treatment?

When you step out that door in the morning you never really know what you're going to encounter.