So,

I just got back from a trip to Mexico Scuba diving for the last few days (I know, rough life), and a dude on the street was selling these hammocks, you see. So, I talked him down from 250.00 pesos to 150.00 pesos. (Still probably payed to much but I was tired of playing the game). Now I have a hammock in my backyard strung up between my fence and the porch corner post. Spent the last few hours snoozing in it, looking at the stars and drinking cerveza. I love this thing.

After doing some searching on the forum and the internet, I found that there is some loyal followers out there that love them too. What a great idea for camping! string one of these babies up to get off the ground and away from the stinging/biting nasties of AZ. Now, finding a couple of cactus (cactii?) to string one of these up might be problematic but I'm sure I could find a couple of trees/bushes sturdy enough to hold me up.

Of course, this got me thinking. Why couldn't one make one of these things? Get a BUNCH of para-cord and start weaving away. I've made nets before and although time consuming, worked out well.

So my question is; How the hell do I make one of these?? I could use the one I have now but would rather start from scratch and not have to rip apart the one I just got. I googled the idea and got a lot of "buy our hammock" hits but not much in detailed distructions on how to make one. Some of the Hennessy ones look cool but are a big ouch to the wallet. Besides, I think I still have a roll or two of para-cord around somewhere. I like self-abuse anyway.

Any hints or ideas?

Also, I think a hammock might be a good idea for my "B" bag. The bag I grab if I know I'm going to be gone/camping/surviving/bugging-out for a while. Not in my EDC or daily BOB, but in my "If I have time to grab it" bag.

Comments, ideas?

DLR