I don't think anyone's done a review on that folder yet so here goes...

A little introduction for starters... I'd been shopping for a "tactical" folder for a while and almost settled for a CRKT Kasper. I could not find a plain edge version at a good price though and the blade was only available in 420J2, which wasn't acceptable to me as I wanted a harder steel that would take a good edge. As an amateur knifesmith I expect quite a lot from knives and I very rarely buy any these days since I can as well make my own. After a while and more research I finally ended up with a plain edge Spyderco Endura 4 with the Wave feature (quick draw opening).

http://spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=226

Spyderco has been all the rage for the past years but I must admit I never liked their designs. I played with Spydercos a fair bit but never got to buying one until now. I generally prefer more traditional designs even though I'm well aware of the many good concepts that Spyderco has been advocating so successfully. But I've always had a dislike for funny space age looking folders that look so ungainly. I have no use for combo/serrated edges either.

Still, at $49 + shipping the new Endura looked like a nifty toy at a reasonable price. My first impression after receiving the package was pretty much as expected. A big, ugly looking folder with a very noticeable Wave hook in front of the thumb hole. The knife is actually very slim and fits in a jeans pocket nicely. It's so light I don't even notice it. Some people might not like to carry a folder this big daily but I don't find it too cumbersome. It's about the biggest size folder I'd consider for EDC however. Anything bigger would become unwieldy. Though again the light construction and slim profile make the Endura much less of a burden than it might look.

Workmanship is really good. It is refreshing to see such tight tolerances in a production folder. Everything fits pretty much perfectly. The lockback is strong and secures the blade tightly, no play whatsoever. The plastic scales are molded very neatly, in nice clean detail and offer a firm grip. Underneath there are stainless skeleton liners. The grip seems quite flimsy but after a little testing I'm sure it could handle a fair amount of lateral stress if necessary - though that's never a good idea with any folder. I like the fact that the knife can be disassembled quite easily for cleaning or maintenance. I also like the simplicity of the lock. Liner locks are a very popular choice for higher end folders nowadays but they can be finnicky and not totally secure. The Endura benefits from the simpler lockback construction which also allows a slimmer profile.

The blade looks fairly unsual with that big Wave hook on top. The finish is quite ordinary but completely even and free of any dips or minor blemishes. My only real complaint is that the thumb hole could be finished a little smoother to be easier on the thumb. The cutting edge however is downright scary. Clearly, VG-10 is a high performance steel and it shows. Most stainless steels, even pretty good ones, don't take or hold a fine edge. The Endura came out of the box literally sharper than a razor blade. Plenty sharp enough to shave fine hair effortlessly, and yet the blade has a relatively strong profile with a V-grind. I've never seen a knife that sharp out of the box before.

Then comes the handling. My first attempt at Wave-assisted opening was a total failure. After a few tries I figured out the basic idea and from then on it got a lot easier. The Wave only functions reliably as long as you're standing and carrying the folder inside a sturdy pocket. It seems to work best with jeans which is good news for me because that's what I'm wearing 99% of the time. Once you master the procedure you can deploy the knife almost instantly. It doesn't even require any fine motor skill, definitely easier under stress than one-handed opening with the thumb hole. I was skeptical about the Wave at first as I never tried it before but I'm beginning to think it's a real improvement. With just a little practice you can draw and open the Endura simultaneously, even faster than you could deploy a fixed blade worn in a typical leather sheath where you have to unbutton the safety strap first.

It'll be interesting to see how the knife stands up to EDC and utility tasks and how well it holds the edge but all in all, the first impression is quite favorable. I'm no convert yet and I still find Spyderco knives pretty ugly... But I'll definitely admit that the new Endura has changed my view on folders a bit. This might be a good EDC knife for someone who likes a large, quick opening folder.