I just had a brain storm.

People who do long distance hikes on cross country skies or snow shoes often tow what looks like a kids' plastic tobbagan with thier gear on it. It would be easy enough to set it up so that the lines connect to quick release buckles on the pack straps, and use webbing rather than rope.

For those times where a sledge isn't the easiest, a two wheeled cart about the same size wouldn't be hard to make.

Think about it- you wrap your gear in a tarp or two, then lash it down to the sides of the carrier. Clip it to BOB's shoulder straps, so you can haul it hands free, ditch it if need to, and with a little bit of changing possition, let it go before you going down hill. I admit I'm a big boy, so could probably drag 60-80 pounds this way easily enough on flat ground, or 40-50 pounds on moderately hilly terrain WITH BOB on my back.

Down sides I see are that it gets a little complicated in tight terrain, and river crossings could be interesting.. But going through, say, rubble or rasberry canes, it should just "float" over the top, and if everything is lashed on right, you should be ok.

Has anyone worked with this idea in the winter (I haven't)? I have I found a way to double (triple) BOB's size managably? Or am I loosing my mind with the humidity?

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.