I recently flew from London (Heathrow) to Vancouver, BC, and back.

I had my smaller-sized firesteel in my (checked) suitcase (protected by heat-shring tubing, a zip-loc, and inside a pair of socks inside a shoe).

I also had a spark-lite in my wallet. This is part of my EDC, and is in a zipped pocket inside what I use as the coin pocket, so it was right on top of a number of coins. In addition, I had a book of safety matches in my pocket. I understand that this is all ok so far as safety regulations go - I didn't carry a lighter as those are (I then believed) banned. I was, however, interested to see if I would have any problems at security.

I didn't (in either direction).

Furthermore, on the way out (Heathrow security) the two chav-types ahead of me both had butane Bic-type lighters that they put in the tray with their cigarettes and other personal stuff, in clear view. They didn't have any problems either.

Before returning I gave the mini-bic I had bought for EDC over there to a friend, went through security at YVR (again, no problems) and bought a bottle of duty free vodka (Grey Goose) in one of the airside shops - along with a disposable souveneir lighter (maple-leaf design).

As those crazy North-Americans say: "go figure" :-)

eeph