Randomly flipping through channels, I caught the end of this a few days ago and again tonight. Title is "Explorer: Mysteries of Survival" and goes over three survival stories. One man is in arctic conditions, with a broken leg, another is in the desert, and another is in the woods with a temperate climate.

Interesting results. The show concentrates a lot on the mental aspect; how all three had a will to survive which let them last days longer than most people would expect.

The one in the snow crawled his way for days (eating snow on something like day 8) trying to get to his car a few miles away. He eventually was able to signal SAR that happened by with his whistle (was in too poor a condition to yell for help).

The guy in the desert stripped off his clothes and it cooked him pretty well.... after days of walking, he laid down to die, not aware there were people just on the other side of the hill. He eventually got pissed and let out a scream as he stood up to keep walking, and that alerted the people who came and saved him.

The guy in the woods did the "stay where you are so the rescuers can find you" thing. I didn't catch the beginning, but I guess he was a hiker or something, the reenactor had a tent. He stayed put, got giardia from drinking untreated water, and when he finally decided to move on the 55th day he was too weak and sick from lack of food and giardia that he ended up dying trying to walk out.

Kind of unexpected results! They mentioned that sometimes doing what everyone tells you (staying put) isn't always the best option, and luck played a big part.