Well I have been lurking for a while and gained much good wisdom. So this last weekend I took my oldest daughter, 18, to the backyard, covered in about 3 inches of snow, to build a fire. She is starting to be an avid outdoors person etc... So I gave here a candle and book of matches and told her to make a fire. Well that flopped. So I decided to try with my magnesium block and flint, I had played with it before but never made a real fire just lit the Mg on fire. Well it was a suprise to find it wasn't as easy as I had thought. So what to do?? I ran in the house and got some drier lint and then we found how easily it would light. Tried to use melted candle wax on it but not quite right. Then used hust plain lint and the mag shaving and up it went. But for the sparker I had tired the back side of a hacksaw blade and it produce vary few sparks but what did work was an old knife blade out of a SAK I had savaged years ago. But what I did find out after thinking hum the hacksaw blade should work was if I used the toothed side it made a suprising amount of sparks, the amount your see with a Magfire advert. Have any of you had this experiance using the toothed side of a hacksaw blade?
So the moral of the story is is practice, as I have learned and have fun.
cheers