I've been browsing google looking for some decent hand crank radios out there, and unfortunately 99% of the radios I've seen are bloated and do not even seem very durable.

I'm looking for a KISS style radio- a basic self powered capable (ie a Hand Crank) two way shortwave radio about the size of a PRC 90 USAF survival radio, or smaller, to perform pretty much the same function.

Unfortunately, finding a PRC 90 that still functions is rare, they are not self powered, and even if you can find a working one, the original batteries are discontinued and rare. Even with the CR123 battery conversion kit, I don't even know the legalities of actually USING the radio. It was designed and built with US Military survival in mind... if I turn it on and start talking, will I find someone knocking on my door? I don't even know it the frequency it operates on is still in use, if it's emergency only (civilian and military) or military emergency use only, or if nobody uses that frequency at all anymore.

As for commerical self powered products, all the ones I have come across during my searches seem extremely bloated. Most of them have flashlights, solar panel chargers, a rather brittle construction and an odd turd like shape that does not permit easy packing.... all incredibly annoying as it increases the size and weight of the item you're really after; the radio. Maybe having a self powered requirement is too much to ask, and I should just stock up on extra batteries for a more conventional radio. I guess without that constraint, I can buy a tiny hand held 2 way radio with the 2 mile range (5 miles would be great, but I dunno what's involved in getting an FCC licence) that can pick up AM/FM signals as well. Some of these also have the added ability to pick up NOAA weather alerts, and act as scanners, so they're a pretty good idea regardless of not having a hand crank option.

Before doing that though, I was just wondering if anyone knew of a non bloated self powered radio. Even one that doesn't transmit, but only picks up AM/FM