Hi everyone. After a discussion on an earlier thread about a mirror (or mirrrrr as one of our non-American friends says we pronounce the word here) and the possible use of a 5x magnification mirror to aid in starting a fire with a fresnel lens, I did a little experiment today. Here are my (non-scientific) results.

Yes, the 5x magnification will focus the light tighter, going into the lens. However, I found that it was much harder to use 2 hands (one on the fresnel lens, and one holding the mirror), to try and get a fire started. I was using some small dead wood lying around the house. In trying to keep the light tightly focused on a small area, it was much too difficult to try and hold the mirror and the lens and the precise angles needed. Someone more competent than I might be able to do this, I found it too difficult. The good news is that the fresnel lens preformed admirably, and I was able to achieve flames in less than 3 minutes. The wood was dry, and if I had used tinder or perhaps a piece of esbit fuel or the like, I am sure the results would have been much better. This makes me feel much safer knowing the little lens works.

On another note, I picked up a Colibri lighter, model looks exactly like the Windmill SP 1000 http://www.windmill.co.jp/outdoor/sp1.htm , at a garage sale. It was empty, and for $5 I figured why not? So, after making fire with the lens, I did a little experiment with the lighter, and compared it to my Brunton Helios. Again, my results are definitely non-scientific.

Anyway, I filled up the Colibri, and luckily it worked. At least I didn't completely waste my money. I took the lighter outside. The wind was pretty strong today, gusting up to 30 mph and steady at around 10 mph. The Colibri lit, and stayed lit in the constant wind, but went out with every good gust. In addition the cap only opened up 90 degrees, and I feel this would make trying to get up close to something to light it such as tinder on the ground very difficult to light. The Brunton lit, and stayed lit in the steady wind, and the gusts. I then decided to be a little less scientific, and brought the lighters to within about a foot from my mouth, and blew fairly heavily on them to see if they would stay lit. The Brunton stayed lit, and the Colibri went out every time. While this could be a problem with this lighter, or perhaps that it is a used lighter, I am not sure. I did notice that the Colibri's firebox where the ignition coil and flame mix was open, and I can see the coils clearly. The Brunton's firebox, however, is enclosed in what appears to be thin ceramic, and that may be just enough insulation from the wind the lighter needs to say running. Or, perhaps the Colibri didn't like the extra garlic on my breath and just gave up the ghost when I breathed on it. So, I will be sticking with my Brunton, and will keep the Colibri in my Jeep for now as a backup.