I had expected to log in this morning and find a busy thread about Friday’s fire in a downtown high rise. (See the Chicago Tribune website for several stories) Since none exists, I’ll start the thread.

Quick summary. Fire started and contained to the twelve floor of a 35 floor office building built in 1964 ( Brunswick Building ). The building does not have a sprinkler system as it was built prior to the city law requiring them (1975 I believe). The fire was contained to the 12 floor and no one died as a result of the fire. However, 6 people died in the stairwell from smoke inhalation. Shortly after the fire started, the building security announced over the emergency speakers for the 12 floor to evacuate. Later, but not immediately, they then announced the whole building to evacuate. The stairwells began to fill with a thick black smoke. Some people decided that they could go no further and chose to work there way back up (I don’t believe the new the nature or extent of the fire/emergency). Some had to go all the way to the 27 floor to find a door that someone had left wedged open. The other doors all were locked automatically as most building do for security reasons. (The Daley Center across the street from the Brunswick building has doors lock that automatically remain open during an emergency.) Several people met firefighters around the 14 floor and were allegedly told to go back up and try the other stairwell as this one was impassable at that point. Many of these people never made it as they were overcome by the smoke and passed out on the stairwell. They were not discovered until about 1 ½ hours after the fire was contained during the fire department’s foot-by-foot search. The Chicago Fire Department’s press statements seem to have created a contradiction. They stated that the folks would have better off staying on their floor instead of evacuating in the stairwells. However, the building’s emergency procedure is to evacuate.

There are a number of questions that need to be answered and addressed. Elected officials are always ready to beat the drums following a tragedy and this is no exception. Especially since the building housed county government offices and many of the dead are from their own ranks.

However, the event also highlights a few thoughts from me on EDC, USK and PSKs.

1. I don’t think I’ll ever feel self conscience about carrying my EDK stuff with me.

2. Don’t be lulled into a sense of security just because your building has an evacuation plan and does frequent fire drills. The Brunswick building conducts 4 drills a year, one with the fire department’s involvement. The events of a true emergency may not play out as they do during a drill. For example, being told to go back and try another stairwell.

3. Information from the security PA system is generated from building personnel who may or may not know what’s really happening or what the correct course of action should be. I’m not suggesting anarchy. What I am suggesting is that it’s your own responsibility to decide what you should do. Our most important survival tool is our brain… use it.

BTW, the thick black smoke from the fire filled the stairwell from ventilation vents on many floors, not just the 12 floor. I wonder if the wedge in the door on the 27 floor caused the stairwell to act as a chimney, drawing the smoke in from the vents.