Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#280286 - 04/12/16 01:50 PM Once More into the Arctic
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A developing situation in the frozen north land:

http://q13fox.com/2016/04/11/rescuers-try-to-find-skiers-stuck-on-alaska-glacier-for-days/

It will be interesting to learn more about this unfolding situation...

Edited by hikermor (04/12/16 01:51 PM)

#280289 - 04/12/16 03:49 PM Re: Once More into the Arctic [Re: hikermor]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

An update:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/rescue-team-closer-hikers-stranded-alaska-glacier-38331607

Quite a contrast to the previous situation discussed previously, although low tech snow caves are involved. What does one carry on a glacier day trip? any provision for bad weather that disrupts your schedule?

#280290 - 04/12/16 04:55 PM Re: Once More into the Arctic [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I always count on the unexpected emergency, and carry the necessary gear. On a glacier, I would carry shelter/warmth, water, and signalling as the priority items. You just never know what can happen.

#280291 - 04/12/16 06:03 PM Re: Once More into the Arctic [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
An update on the situation: http://www.adn.com/article/20160412/rescue-team-gets-closer-hikers-stranded-kenai-peninsula-glacier

It sounds like they had some sort of tent, which didn't last long in the weather. They are now dug into a snow cave. A PJ team hopes to reach them today. The article says the PJs parachuted in, but I think that is an error. My understanding is they were inserted by helo at a lower elevation (as far up as the helo could get in the weather). It will be interesting to get the whole story after they are rescued.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
What does one carry on a glacier day trip? any provision for bad weather that disrupts your schedule?
I would probably start with about the same that one would carry on a day climb of a glaciated peak such as Rainier or Hood. Then add a few extra items because of the remote location. There is always a problem deciding how much to carry on a day trip.

#280292 - 04/12/16 06:48 PM Re: Once More into the Arctic [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Parachuting onto a heavily crevassed glacier, as Bear Glacier apparently is, is not my idea of fun. I'll take the helicopter, thank you....

#280293 - 04/12/16 07:25 PM Re: Once More into the Arctic [Re: hikermor]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

If the weather would not allow a helo, they definitely did not parachute in. A helo can handle worse weather than a parachute can.

#280294 - 04/12/16 07:53 PM Re: Once More into the Arctic [Re: AKSAR]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

New update:
http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/helicopter...o-land/38987658

A helo was able to spot their location from the air this AM, but was still unable to land due to weather. A peloaded text this morning from the subjects indicated they were OK.

Hopefully the PJs will be able to reach them today.

#280295 - 04/12/16 08:49 PM Re: Once More into the Arctic [Re: AKSAR]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Okay... so the protocol is for the rescuees to sit tight in their cave and let SAR come to them, rather than the rescuees moving to a lower elevation. Makes sense -- hug a tree. If the rescuees tried to go to the helo, SAR would end up with a moving target.

Does self-rescue (to a lower elevation) have any role whatsoever? If a helo can drop off a team at lower elevation they could do a pick up. What if the rescuees had good comms with SAR?

#280296 - 04/12/16 09:33 PM Re: Once More into the Arctic [Re: Russ]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Russ
Okay... so the protocol is for the rescuees to sit tight in their cave and let SAR come to them, rather than the rescuees moving to a lower elevation. Makes sense -- hug a tree. If the rescuees tried to go to the helo, SAR would end up with a moving target.

Does self-rescue (to a lower elevation) have any role whatsoever? If a helo can drop off a team at lower elevation they could do a pick up. What if the rescuees had good comms with SAR?
There isn't really any standard protocol. It is totally situation dependent. Self rescue is always worth considering, but other factors can come into play. I don't really know too much more about this specific incident than has been published, but here are some things to think about:

How strong are the search subjects at this point? Remember, they were out on a day drip on Friday. So they have been holed up in difficult circumstances for 4 days beyond what they thought was a day trip. They may be significantly weakened by this point. If they are reasonably sheltered in a snow cave, it may make better sense to stay put and let rescue come to them.

If they move, how easy would it be to rendezvous with an approaching SAR team? If visibility is poor, they could walk right past each other on that glacier. Since the rescuers have their coordinates, again it might make more sense to stay put.

What is the terrain like between them and the rescuers? They were dropped off, apparently for a day ski (in more mellow terrain?), high up on the glacier . As the photos with the articles show, the lower part of the glacier is heavily crevassed. A team of 2, even if roped up, can have a very difficult time if one falls in a crevasse. If we assume they are already cold and weakened, extricating someone from a crevasse would be even more difficult.

Note that the team of 4 PJs are the gold standard for rescue. They are Air Force Spec Ops, and are super fit, and highly trained. I assume they landed on the glacier with the full expectation that it might take several days to reach the subjects, and brought the appropriate gear for a multi day mission.

In this case it probably makes good sense for the subjects not to move. Other situations may call for a different answer.

Edited by AKSAR (04/12/16 09:35 PM)

#280297 - 04/12/16 09:44 PM Re: Once More into the Arctic [Re: AKSAR]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Good news! The were rescued successfully, apparently in good condition, by helo:

http://www.ktuu.com/news/news/helicopter...o-land/38987658

I'm speculating here, but it looks like the PJs probably had two plans going. Given a break in the weather, pick them up by helicopter. If no break in the weather, have a ground team going in as well. Sounds like the weather cleared before the ground team got there.

Edited by AKSAR (04/12/16 09:44 PM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 521 Guests and 143 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.