#272158 - 10/11/14 10:19 PM EDC: military tracker's pack
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#272159 - 10/11/14 11:38 PM Re: EDC: military tracker's pack [Re: TeacherRO]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Interesting article, but even more intriguing would be an equivalent discussion of a civilian SAR person's gear today. I know what I carried way back when, and I am sure there have been mods and improvements since then.

We carried more first aid equipment and somewhat less ammo and armament (usually none) and eschewed camo clothing. We did everything to make ourselves highly visible.

#272160 - 10/12/14 02:55 AM Re: EDC: military tracker's pack [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
We carried more first aid equipment and somewhat less ammo and armament (usually none) and eschewed camo clothing. We did everything to make ourselves highly visible.
What?? You mean you you didn't EDC "....at least two fragmentation grenades..." on SAR missions??? smile

While these kinds of lists are mildly interesting, I don't find them particularly useful. The problem is that what you carry is always very specific to what sort of mission you are on and what sort of environment you are operating in.

To take one example you point our, for someone in combat, being well camouflaged is essential to survival. On a non-combat SAR mission, being as visible as possible is important. The needs and requirements are almost exactly opposite.

For another example, this guy is apparently operating in an area of mild to hot weather. I saw no insulating clothing layers, nor any shell garment or rain gear. He wouldn't last very long in winter Alaska. But apparently there aren't many bugs in his area either. I see no bug dope, no head net etc. In some seasons/regions of Alaska the skeeters would suck him dry.

Even for civilian SAR, the gear carried changes radically depending on what kind of team, what season, and what area. Ground pounder searching in the northern Wisconsin woods? Summer big wall rescue in Yosemite? Big mountain rescue on Denali? Summer desert mission around Tucson? Winter avalanche body recovery near Anchorage? Very different gear for each.

#272162 - 10/12/14 03:31 AM Re: EDC: military tracker's pack [Re: AKSAR]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: AKSAR
The problem is that what you carry is always very specific to what sort of mission you are on and what sort of environment you are operating in.

I agree with AKSAR, the specific loadout is very dependent on the environment (both natural and geopolitical) and the mission. Though I have heard that those frag 'nades are great for discouraging the bears that ignore bear spray...!

Seriously though, to me the value of that linked article is not so much the specific gear loadout but the 1st/2nd/3rd line organizational thinking it displays. I think it's pretty smart. Just substitute the specific items needed for the environment, while thinking "what if I get separated from my pack?".

#272163 - 10/12/14 04:00 AM Re: EDC: military tracker's pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Fyrediver Offline

I think one aspect of this article that's very useful is the emphasis on keeping the load light and breaking it into three areas:

On Person
On Web/LBE (I personally substitute a RIBZ pack for this layer)
In Pack

This is the same "system" I use for my GHB car kit and even how I hike.

The pack layer is the one that varies the most for me. The personal and RIBZ kit remain pretty constant.

#272196 - 10/14/14 01:34 PM Re: EDC: military tracker's pack [Re: Fyrediver]
yee Offline

Originally Posted By: Fyrediver
I personally substitute a RIBZ pack for this layer)

How is the ribz? Is it hot in the summer (more specifically, how hot does it get in your neck of the woods and how do you handle the Ribz in the summer?)

There appears to be two sizes, 500 in^3 and 700 in^3. Aren't both sizes a bit BIG? What size do you have and do you find it rather large for the 10 essentials?

#272215 - 10/14/14 04:39 PM Re: EDC: military tracker's pack [Re: TeacherRO]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Mhmm. Only six magazines? No handgun? One knife? And of that type?
None of which would be my choice. But thats JMHO.

#274086 - 02/02/15 08:37 PM Re: EDC: military tracker's pack [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

for SAR group check lists search 24 hour and 72 hour packs..extensive, but somewhat dated.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 530 Guests and 29 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.