Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#270431 - 06/14/14 04:01 AM Canoe Country Rescue
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

here is a link to the rescue of a group of Scouts in the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness.
i know the lake they were on,Basswood,it's huge and runs west to east and at the end they were entering the lake from would of had some large/huge waves.in order to get onto the lake from the small bay at the ranger station you have to go thru a narrows right into the west wind.i saw a guy swamp there some years ago and on the same day when i stopped at the first camp i could find i also watched a rescue out on the lake.no float planes just other guys bringing in people from swamped canoes.
this is my one worry when i'm out solo,swamping and losing the canoe and gear.thats why that red PFD is my avatar here.with lots of survival gear in the pockets i should be ok until help comes along.
http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/content...boundary-waters

#270436 - 06/14/14 11:35 AM Re: Canoe Country Rescue [Re: CANOEDOGS]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
My paddling has been in kayaks, rather than canoes. Kayaks have a sealed compartment that contains cargo when the kayak goes belly up, a routine event. Can't you secure cargo in a canoe so that it remains in the craft?

I like the way you have rigged your PFD - very similar to the way I equipped mine - keep the critical gear close at hand.

#270446 - 06/14/14 08:02 PM Re: Canoe Country Rescue [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Hikemor..if it looks tricky out on a lake or the river has some fast water i'll undo a pack strap and loop it around the portage bar and reattach it.the folks who do the big trips down the rivers in Canada criss cross cord over the packs.those trippers have full spray skirts over the canoes anyway.
i very seldom tie anything in,if its that nasty i stay off the water.

big rounded off rocks like this are more of a danger than just paddling in bad water.just inches under the surface and hard to see from the stern of a 16 foot canoe going solo.
if the canoe rides up on one side of one of those it's enough to tip you right over! i have run up on a few of those and getting the canoe off can be a problem.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (06/14/14 08:03 PM)

#270447 - 06/14/14 08:48 PM Re: Canoe Country Rescue [Re: CANOEDOGS]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
Canoedogs- that's why I wear polarized sunglasses while canoeing. Helps you see into the water a lot better.

Also, in well-travelled areas rocks like that have a "silver lining"- aluminum from other canoes that have scraped up on them before.

#270448 - 06/14/14 09:33 PM Re: Canoe Country Rescue [Re: CANOEDOGS]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Local scout group all drown/died of cold after swamping and being unable to reach shore to warm up. They were found floating in a circle together. 1982

one newspaper account

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1755&dat=19820809&id=PsIqAAAAIBAJ&sjid=NWgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3517,4312835

#270451 - 06/14/14 10:12 PM Re: Canoe Country Rescue [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
My paddling has been in kayaks, rather than canoes. Kayaks have a sealed compartment that contains cargo when the kayak goes belly up, a routine event. Can't you secure cargo in a canoe so that it remains in the craft?

I like the way you have rigged your PFD - very similar to the way I equipped mine - keep the critical gear close at hand.
Hikermor & canoedogs method of having some key gear on your PFD is a good idea. One issue is that if you capsize in windy conditions, the canoe or kayak can easily blow away down wind faster than you can swim to catch it. Even if your gear is secure under the kayak cargo hatches, or lashed down inside the canoe, you might find it floating rapidly away from you.

Assuming you manage to swim to shore, you could then find yourself with just the gear in your pockets and on your PFD. The trick is finding the right amount of gear to attach to the PFD. You want to have enough to survive, but too much hanging on your PFD can get in your way, and make normal paddling a pain in the rear. Also, too much stuff on your PFD can make a kayak paddle float re-entry harder to do. As always, one wants to find the "Goldilocks" point: Not too much....not to little...Just Right!

#270454 - 06/15/14 02:41 AM Re: Canoe Country Rescue [Re: CANOEDOGS]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'm on a towboat and my Type IV life jacket is equipped w/the following:
Blinking red light (for night ops), small wide beam LED flashlight, Doug Ritter PSK (thank you Stu) in a radio pouch (similar to a magazine pouch), 2 35gal and 1 55gal trashbags, leather gloves, another (empty) radio pouch (to carry a handheld VHF-FM radio), sunglasses, and 2 carabiners (to carry tools and hardhat).

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 179 Guests and 52 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.