Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#269755 - 05/08/14 04:48 PM Biggest sources of danger
Omega Offline
Journeyman

I have seen some statistics on the biggest sources of danger to an individual in a developed world on a Russian website on a relative weight of each factor:
way ( in %) :
cars 2.0
other technical means 1.0
contamination of the environment 7.0
war 1.0
crime 0.5
Disaster 0.4
animals, birds , fish, reptiles 0.1
inevitable disease 10.0
disease caused by improper lifestyle 80.0
I understand that sometimes several factors cause the danger, therefore it adds up to more than100%. However, I would like to validate the data. Would you have some similar statistical data? I guess it will strongly depend on a country and methodology, so discrepancies are expected.
Thank you

#269758 - 05/08/14 05:30 PM Re: Biggest sources of danger [Re: Omega]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
They left "government" off the list. Arguably one of the bigger hazards in and of itself, or at least the cause of other hazards. For example, "war" is not an individually controlled or created hazard. It cannot be avoided except by the actions, or inactions, of your government.

#269761 - 05/08/14 11:22 PM Re: Biggest sources of danger [Re: Omega]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
interesting,but rather imprecise. What, for example, is "inevitable d" Wouldn't it blend with "disease caused by improper lifestyle"? How proper is my lifestyle - I pedal bikes a lot, which exposes me to accidents, but keeps me fit.

Gotta go for a ride.....

#269762 - 05/09/14 12:06 AM Re: Biggest sources of danger [Re: Omega]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
There's no obvious category where "suicide" fits in, and that's a top 10 cause of death.

I do like the "improper lifestyle" category. It does reverse the paradigm that makes most of us feel like victims of our bodies, and victims often feel powerless to do anything about it and therefore are passive about the whole thing.

Since so many Russians die directly or indirectly from abuse of alcohol and drugs, I suppose "improper" may be a decent description. Have you seen photos of krokodil addicts? Makes meth heads look like health nuts.

#269764 - 05/09/14 12:57 AM Re: Biggest sources of danger [Re: Omega]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
This list has got to change for different genders, races, income brackets, ages, etc.

#269766 - 05/09/14 08:04 AM Re: Biggest sources of danger [Re: Omega]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

'Danger' can defined several ways, but if you mean danger of death, then you are looking for a 'Cause of death statistic'. It is widely available, internationally, nationally and locally. (WHO, CDC, local government, etc) There is enough data to adjust to gender, race, income, education, etc.

I occasionally point out these statistics to people who over prepare, but don't do anything about the number 1 issue; there bad lifestyle.

#269769 - 05/09/14 02:58 PM Re: Biggest sources of danger [Re: Omega]
Omega Offline
Journeyman

Well, you are right, here is a bit of continuation of the article translated using Google Translate with a little moderation from me:

"The relative weight of poor lifestyle factors ( in %) :
physical inactivity 30
smoking, alcohol and drugs 20
overeating or malnutrition 10
unfavorable composition of food 10
uncleanliness 10
mental strain 10
Conflicts 7
other 3
If we consider the root causes of harm , it is 95% nonsense (better to translate as "95% of harm is caused by stupidity of individuals") and 5% natural factors that it is impossible to defend by known methods and acceptable costs.
30% capacity increase personal security is implemented on personal and family level (better to translate this way:"30% of your personal security depends on your personal and family attributes"), 60 % - at the national ("ethnic background") and 10 % - for internationally ("global factors").
All numerical data in this section are expert estimates, based on the results of various statistical studies and general considerations. The actual value of those or other factors may differ from those specified in several times , but its more precise definition of almost impossible because of the variety of relationships between factors".

Anyway, I am more interested in statistical data because it seems to me that most of survival situations do not depend on how well you can hunt/amount of kit you have, but on receiving a proper medical treatment and summoning help ASAP. Yes, there was Katrina, people were freezing on winter roads etc, but it looks like they are still not that statistically significant as, for example, threat of fire, becoming a victim of a crime or losing a job...

#269776 - 05/09/14 07:08 PM Re: Biggest sources of danger [Re: Omega]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Omega

Anyway, I am more interested in statistical data because it seems to me that most of survival situations do not depend on how well you can hunt/amount of kit you have, but on receiving a proper medical treatment and summoning help ASAP.

"survival situations" is a pretty broad category. I would maintain that "amount of kit" is pretty significant, provided you know what you are doing with it. In a good many medical situations, the immediate care rendered will be just as crucial, if not more so, than what first responders can accomplish.

#269783 - 05/10/14 12:35 AM Re: Biggest sources of danger [Re: Omega]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl

#269821 - 05/11/14 09:51 AM Re: Biggest sources of danger [Re: Omega]
Omega Offline
Journeyman

Thank you, Nursemike. This is really useful - it looks like injuries and diseases are the greatest dangers along with your own mental health (subside) and crime. Perhaps this is what I should be prepping for. And it looks like signalling for help is way more important than trying to survive for a few days on your own.

Edited by Omega (05/11/14 09:52 AM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.