Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#253392 - 11/15/12 04:42 PM Preggo's Going Camping!
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My son and I are going camping with our Cub Scout Pack this weekend. At 7 months pregnant, I obviously can't carry as much as I usually do and I could use your insights on what to pack.

The good news for me is that we can drive in and unload at the cabins so I can plan this like car camping and not worry about having to carry my tent, sleeping bag, wool blanket, thermarest, closed-cell foam sleeping pad, a couple of pillows, a change of clothes and toiletries. It's the trekking with the kids part that I'm struggling with. We're working on the basics this weekend, including survival kits, so I need to be a good role model but can't carry the kitchen sink just in case.

We'll be sleeping in cabins on Friday night and in tents on Saturday night. (I may play the preggo card and opt out of tents and stay in the cabin with the younger Beaver Scouts, depending on how I feel.) We have a bunch of brand new Cubs and this is our first camping trip of the year. We're going to be working on basic camping and hiking skills, including reviewing our survival kits and helping our new Cubs build their own.

EDC Clothes: In addition to my uniform, I'll likely dress in merino wool socks, long johns, BDU pants, poly/wool blend LS shirt and a wool or fleece sweater. When outside I add my winter hat, poly-fill vest and a goretex shell:
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h351/backpackjac/MBO/Picture010.jpg

EDC Gear (on person, in pockets):

I always wear a watch (Coleman) and micro photon II/mini harmonica/wedding rings on a 3 ft paracord necklace.

I attach my key fob attached to vest's built-in carabiner: Fox 40, Streamlite Keymate, SAK, Fauxton, keys to home/Jeep/office/hubby's truck, monkey fist: http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h351/backpackjac/MBO/Picture011.jpg

Sunglasses, light wool gloves and bandana:
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h351/backpackjac/MBO/Picture012.jpg

LED, gerber folder, mini bic, lip balm:
http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h351/backpackjac/MBO/Picture014.jpg

EDC Updates for the Weekend:

This weekend I'll likely remove my key fob and throw in my Leatherman Wave (with ferro rod, maglite solitare and cotton balls/char cloth in sheath) instead.

When I'm out with the Scouts, I always wear a lanyard with Fox 40 whistle, fauxton, a mini bic and mini multi-tool. I also carry a pack with some emergency supplies.

Day Hike Packing List

So far, my packing list for my day hike pack this weekend includes:

-Water (SS water bottle, tin can and aluminum foil for boiling)
-FAK (AMK Field Trauma Kit plus emergency info for all participants, duct tape, OTC meds, 2 X thick maxi pads, a couple of tampons and mylar blanket, minus med tape, elastic bandage and FAK booklet)
-Clothes (extra socks, hat, mitts, sweater, poncho, extra kid-sized hat and mitts)
-Shelter (thermal emergency blanket with paracord tie-outs, paracord, chem hand warmers)
-Fire (altoids tin with mini bic, waterproof matches, fat wood, PJ cotton balls)
-Light (LED headlamp, LED flashlight, extra batteries)
-Food (licorish, tuna & crackers snack pack, cliff bar)
-PSK (Modified Ritter AMK PSK)

Note: When we go hiking, all leaders carry 2-way radios and 2 other leaders or parents will be carrying packs with:
-group FAK and emergency kit
-hot chocolate and snacks

Any suggestions?

Chem body warmers and a collapsable trekking pole are already on my shopping list.

BTW - the weather forcast looks like we're in for partly overcast skies, with highs around 8C and lows about -2C.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#253396 - 11/15/12 05:53 PM Re: Preggo's Going Camping! [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
on the first aid... how are you fixed for burns, minor dental, elastic wrap for sprains, moleskin for blisters? ...I really like the elastic adhesive wraps like Coban...

#253407 - 11/15/12 09:00 PM Re: Preggo's Going Camping! [Re: bacpacjac]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
At 7 months pregnant, I obviously can't carry as much as I usually do and I could use your insights on what to pack.

It used to be that women would work in the fields until they were ready and then squat on the side of the field for a few minutes to give birth and then go back to work.

We have gotten way too sissified.:)

Bob

#253412 - 11/15/12 09:27 PM Re: Preggo's Going Camping! [Re: ILBob]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: ILBob
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
At 7 months pregnant, I obviously can't carry as much as I usually do and I could use your insights on what to pack.

It used to be that women would work in the fields until they were ready and then squat on the side of the field for a few minutes to give birth and then go back to work.

I'll happily wear the "sissie" name tag for the next couple of months if it means the safe delivery of this baby. This high-risk AMA hasn't traded in her hiking boots for slippers just yet though. wink Just trying to find a balance between pack mule and bedridden.

#253424 - 11/15/12 10:42 PM Re: Preggo's Going Camping! [Re: bacpacjac]
JPickett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Missouri
"We have gotten way too sissified.:)"
ILBob, I would be careful. Some of the women on this list might journey to Illinois and pay you a "hostile" visit. They may not know where you live, but they'll find out.

#253425 - 11/15/12 10:47 PM Re: Preggo's Going Camping! [Re: JPickett]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Back in the days when giving birth was just a long coffee break while working in the fields, the death rate among mothers was roughly equivalent to that of Marines in combat; roughly 30% of infants perished.

#253430 - 11/16/12 12:31 AM Re: Preggo's Going Camping! [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Greetings, in light of a past experience, I strongly suggest you play. "The preggo card" and stay in the cabin. Bo

#253431 - 11/16/12 12:54 AM Re: Preggo's Going Camping! [Re: bacpacjac]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
If you're bringing a nylon folding camp chair you might want to bring some kind of insulation for the seat area. Closed cell foam is the best, but I've been known to use two layers of corrugated cardboard - which worked pretty well ... though while camping with Scouts cardboard is always at a major risk of ending up in a campfire it not guarded carefully. :-)

Oh, and bring lip balm!! Cold weather-caused chapped lips can cause a surprising amount of misery.

Ken

#253434 - 11/16/12 06:40 AM Re: Preggo's Going Camping! [Re: ILBob]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: ILBob

We?? Geez, dude. That tapping at your window is a cruise missile askin' to come in.

Survival rule #1: don't be messin' with a Mama Bear.

#253439 - 11/16/12 10:46 AM Re: Preggo's Going Camping! [Re: KenK]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: KenK
If you're bringing a nylon folding camp chair you might want to bring some kind of insulation for the seat area. Closed cell foam is the best, but I've been known to use two layers of corrugated cardboard - which worked pretty well ... though while camping with Scouts cardboard is always at a major risk of ending up in a campfire it not guarded carefully. :-)

Oh, and bring lip balm!! Cold weather-caused chapped lips can cause a surprising amount of misery.

Ken

Great reminders, thanks Ken! I usually wear my wool campfire blanket around the fire bit my butt still gets chilly. Lip balm is a must too!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 530 Guests and 25 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.