Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#247547 - 06/26/12 11:35 PM Key chain as the basis of your EDC?
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

#247552 - 06/27/12 01:30 AM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: TeacherRO]
GarlyDog Offline
τΏτ
Old Hand

Loc: The People's Republic of IL
I like the suspension clip. That has to make the key chain EDC glob-o-stuff more comfortable to wear.

#247554 - 06/27/12 03:12 AM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Nice info, and timely with my other thread. Thanks for the link.

#247609 - 06/28/12 01:58 AM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: TeacherRO]
LED Offline
Veteran

Agreed. Its always with you. House keys are on EDC key chain, car keys are carried separately.

EDC key chain:

P38
Exotac firesteel XL
Pocket Tool X Brewser
Swiss Army Classic
Photon Freedom

And some keys of course, lol.

#247629 - 06/28/12 02:28 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: TeacherRO]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I use a small length of stainless steel cable. It has a light, small knife, pen, screw drivers, P-38, at a minimum. This is not my key chain, however, but separate and in the other pocket. I tried them on my key chain and it was just too bulky so I spread it out.

#247978 - 07/04/12 06:38 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I like the 2 key chain idea...keeps 'em all together.

#247982 - 07/04/12 08:26 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: TeacherRO]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
I am the total opposite. I despise having crap on my keychain. I prefer to carry essential items in my pockets instead.

#248001 - 07/05/12 03:42 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: ]
Stephen Offline

Loc: Canada
So Izzy,

Just curious (don't take this as me trying to start an arguement)

How much of that do you honestly use enough to really justify having with you all the time?

Do you find the tape gums up over everything when it gets wet ? (sweat etc) I hate that, or I need a better tape.

Isn't it a real chore getting something off of there to use each time ?(like the pen)

Couldn't the multi-tool easily fill in for the other saw, utility key, prybar and tick tweezers?

Don't you worry that losing one item essentially could mean losing everything if you were careless and dropped the key ring ?

how comfortable is that cluster in the pocket ?

The system obviously works for you so I am not questioning that. Its just those little details that kept me from ever seeing the utility of having everything bunched up on a mini key chain like that. I keep essential EDC items spread out through several pockets.
To each their own I know, but like I said. Just curious.

#248003 - 07/05/12 04:05 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: TeacherRO]
cfraser Offline

Loc: Toronto area, Ontario, Canada
Let's face it: guys use the bulging keychain EDC only because they don't want to carry/wear a pouch or small man-bag. Right? Otherwise it doesn't make sense. I'm right with you there, wish I wasn't...

Personally I don't like the pocket bulges. I don't like the squirming if one of the keychain thingies starts to poke one of my non-keychain thingies, mostly while sitting. I do like the potential for discrete carry that it has, though dividing items up and putting in separate pockets does that and maybe adds a small safety factor too.

On a keychain that has keys that I actually use, anything more than a (e.g.) Photon and a (e.g.) Squirt on it would drive me crazy. That's already too much if there's a modern auto fob on it...

I much prefer "organized pocket carry" (OPC). I am mostly an urban person, and nobody makes great gear for this OPC AFAIK, so have to make do. It doesn't need to be bulletproof: it needs to be flexible and thin, no zippers for sure (ruins flexibility in pocket) and no molle.

Out in the bush, my man-genes are intact so I can do it properly and carry a bag/pouch.

#248015 - 07/05/12 06:02 PM Re: Key chain as the basis of your EDC? [Re: cfraser]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California
Originally Posted By: cfraser
Let's face it: guys use the bulging keychain EDC only because they don't want to carry/wear a pouch or small man-bag. Right? Otherwise it doesn't make sense. I'm right with you there, wish I wasn't...

I carry a man bag everyday, and keychains are perhaps more necessary to keep things organized in my bag. Otherwise, I'd spend 30 seconds trying to find my flash drive or whatever else. By the way, I don't care what a man bag looks like to others. I'm not "trying" to be a man. I just am.

I recommend a man bag for all men carrying anything beyond keys. I mean seriously. I can't imagine how some guys are carrying their wallet, cell phone, knife, keys, lighter, flashlight, pill case, flash drive, whistle, gum, notes, bandana, and whatever else in their pockets. Some guys top it off with a handgun and a spare magazine on their waist. I would look ridiculous if I tried that.

It took awhile to find the perfect bag, but once I did, I'm never going back to carrying stuff in my pockets only to empty all the stuff at the end of the day and then start over the next day.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 525 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.