Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#264219 - 10/11/13 01:12 PM How do you apply direct pressure?
bigmbogo Offline
Journeyman

The couple times I have seen someone apply direct pressure to a wound to stop bleeding, they improvised and used some sort of cloth. A beach towel one time, and I think a blanket the other.

What is the official thing to use? Gauze? I tend to think of gauze as a wound dressing, being absorbent, and maybe a little hard to handle for a big bleeding wound. Are there better options? Or is gauze just the obvious answer?

Thanks!

David

#264222 - 10/11/13 01:27 PM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: bigmbogo]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The absolutely best thing would be a sterile gauze pad, but if the bleeding is severe and copious, anything will do. I generally EDC a cotton bandana which could be used for this purpose if the bleeding is really significant. Hopefully you will have a glove or some sort of blood barrier on your hand if you are dealing with a situation like this.

My first EMT instructor, a Navy medic, once rode along to the ER with an accident victim, clamping a major blood vessel in her neck all the way. This was in the days before gloves were in common use.

#264223 - 10/11/13 01:37 PM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: bigmbogo]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
... and make sure not to remove the "dressing" - leaving that to medical professionals.

#264225 - 10/11/13 02:15 PM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: hikermor
The absolutely best thing would be a sterile gauze pad, but if the bleeding is severe and copious, anything will do. I generally EDC a cotton bandana which could be used for this purpose if the bleeding is really significant. Hopefully you will have a glove or some sort of blood barrier on your hand if you are dealing with a situation like this.

My first EMT instructor, a Navy medic, once rode along to the ER with an accident victim, clamping a major blood vessel in her neck all the way. This was in the days before gloves were in common use.

Use what you have. Gauze is the official thing - yes it absorbs, but by holding the blood it allows it to start clotting. Blood that flows doesn't clot ...

Combat gauze is the new and greatest in the military. Gauze impregnated with a hemostatic agent.

As to the 'how,' I use my hand and push really hard.

#264226 - 10/11/13 02:19 PM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
+1 on what they said. My FAK has lots of 4x4 and 5x9 gauze pads. Could one of the more experienced here comment on cleaning the wound.

As I recall, once the major bleeding has stopped, the wound can be cleaned of any foreign material and irrigated with lots of drinkable water -- an irrigation syringe is useful. Then the wound can be covered with a clean dressing. Comments?

#264231 - 10/11/13 03:03 PM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: bigmbogo]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I keep a clean hanky and a microfiber towel in my bag. Both will serve in a pinch. no reason to carry gauze at all IMO.

Bob

#264235 - 10/11/13 03:18 PM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Russ

As I recall, once the major bleeding has stopped, the wound can be cleaned of any foreign material and irrigated with lots of drinkable water -- an irrigation syringe is useful. Then the wound can be covered with a clean dressing. Comments?

Never done that. The emphasize was on stopping the bleeding,doing a thorough survey, ABC, etc, and stabilizing the victim. The victim was on his/her way to the ER pronto. WE did remove large boulders and tree branches from the wound, however. I can't recall ever irrigating. It would certainly be different if you were a long time from definitive care.

#264236 - 10/11/13 03:27 PM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: ILBob]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I carry a small FAK in my backpack which includes nitrile gloves, 4x4 & 5x9 gauze, an irrigation syringe and other goodies. The microfiber towel is for me to clean up. That said, a clean T-shirt or towel can be used in a pinch.

#264239 - 10/11/13 03:30 PM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I s'pose that's one of the differences between Red Cross first aid and wilderness first aid. The irrigation syringe was high on their list of things to have. I've had a syringe in my FAK but really didn't understand why until the WMI FA course.

#264242 - 10/11/13 05:37 PM Re: How do you apply direct pressure? [Re: ILBob]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Originally Posted By: ILBob
I keep a clean hanky and a microfiber towel in my bag. Both will serve in a pinch. no reason to carry gauze at all IMO.

I see valid responses all over the board here from different contexts:

almost any absorbent cloth will do for direct pressure when you have EMTs and an ER in the near future. This includes home and auto accidents, SAR extractions etc. In fact in a pinch direct pressure without gauze or bandana will do, although really recommend gloving up first. Cloth can help with comfort for the patient with a bleeding wound you're pressing down on, and I believe it can promote clotting. FWIW I can't imagine not going in without some sort of cloth in my hand, my t-shirt even, and only rethink if the bleeding is excessive in which case I'm focusing on direct pressure or nearby pressure points to control bleeding. TQ is also an option then, though my gut is most bleeds will respond to pressure.

in WFA 24 hrs+ from the trail head and ERs and EMTs, they teach using gauze and direct pressure, and when one pad gets full put another pad on top (don't remove the soaked gauze, as some clotting may have occurred), and keep the pressure on, repeating as necessary. At a certain point there may be a decision to move to or supplement direct pressure with pressure points, or add or replace with a TQ but the most likely outcome is direct pressure reduces the bleeding sufficient to bandage up. You still work through your options in order - direct pressure, pressure points, then TQ if wound is on a limb. If you don't have an EMT or ER in the immediate future, control bleeding, irrigate wound, bandage, and continue wound care until you evacuate to medical assistance.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (dougwalkabout), 521 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.