Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#263940 - 10/03/13 06:12 PM Life Expectancy of GPS units
drahthaar Offline

I have a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx that I purchased in August 2006.

It worked flawlessly until three weeks ago when it simply failed while I was out on a trip. I hadn't dropped it or dunked it and the batteries were fine - the screen went blank and it started making a buzzing sound. It worked a couple of times after that but the same problem occurred again and again. Also seemed to take forever to acquire satellites whereas in the past it would have locked on within a minute or so.

So here's the question - is there a life expectancy with handheld GPS units?

Should they be replaced every X number of years even if they appear to be working fine?

#263941 - 10/03/13 06:50 PM Re: Life Expectancy of GPS units [Re: drahthaar]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
I've got an original Garmin eTrex I bought when they first came out, so figure it's at least 10 years old. It still works just fine, even after living on my snowmobile for most of its life. It doesn't have a high sensitivity receiver or WAAS (or mapping for that matter), so accuracy and satellite acquisition suffers a bit. However, it's still close enough with tracking and waypoints that I've never had an issue finding my way back.

Like most things, electronic items love to "s**t the bed" when you need them most. It's that whole Murphy's law thing. That's why it's always best to have some kind of backup.

Like most people, I rely heavily on GPS units nowadays, but I also still like to take out my map at major trail intersections and take note of where I am and the direction of travel.

#263942 - 10/03/13 06:56 PM Re: Life Expectancy of GPS units [Re: drahthaar]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Like most Electronics made today I expect them to last 5 years. If you get a few more out of then you are doing well. I have had a number lose their screens and a few toggle switch failure. All my really old ones have failed. I have also had a number of participants complain of screen going, this seems to be the biggest failure point.

My GPS's get used in Wilderness Navigation classes and I use them a lot in the bush so they may get a little rougher work then most GPS Receivers. I do not replace them until they start to fail, but nearly every year I buy a new one and put the older one into my class box for participants to use. This means that now I am rarely using one more than two years old.
boreal.net

#263943 - 10/03/13 07:21 PM Re: Life Expectancy of GPS units [Re: drahthaar]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I too have a Garmin 60CSx and it is operating like the day I bought it. I'm still running it on alkaline batteries, will switch to NiMH next battery change. Make sure the correct battery is selected in the set-up menu and that you are not using lithium primary batteries. The 60CSx is not designed to handle lithium primary batteries.

Other than that, it's an electronic devise and while some may go on forever, others will fail earlier. The Garmin GPS V that I've had since 2002 still works.

#263945 - 10/03/13 09:03 PM Re: Life Expectancy of GPS units [Re: drahthaar]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I expect it's just a function of electronics in general, not anything specific to a GPS.

Most of the time my GPS is just a nice addition to my landnav loadout. But there are times when the GPS is more critical, like when I'm exploring an area completely new to me and I have very important waypoints programmed in that I want to find. Examples would be water sources, unique campsites, critical trail junctions, etc. In those cases I take a second GPS, which isn't too hard since it's a Garmin 401.

This is why I keep my old GPS units after upgrading.

#263948 - 10/03/13 10:18 PM Re: Life Expectancy of GPS units [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Most electronics won't warn you that they are about to fail. That is why I think it is best to have at least two units in a group that is traveling.

In addition to my mapping GPS I also tend to carry a Garmin Geko, which is real tiny - basic, but tiny.

Of course folks will rightfully say you should never be reliant on anything electronic.

#263952 - 10/03/13 11:40 PM Re: Life Expectancy of GPS units [Re: drahthaar]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
This is why I keep up on map and compass skills.I have heard to many stories of GPS units dying when some one needed them most.A friend said "using GPS you are already lost.You just don't know it yet." They are a nice tool but not one to bet my life on.....

BOATMAN
John

#263953 - 10/03/13 11:47 PM Re: Life Expectancy of GPS units [Re: boatman]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: boatman
They are a nice tool but not one to bet my life on.....

I would bet my life on a GPS ... while it was working. There's not much that is more accurate and convenient for determining your location.

I would always have a map and compass and the skills needed to use them as a backup though.

But if the GPS was working, sure, I'd trust it and bet my life on it.

#263962 - 10/04/13 02:43 AM Re: Life Expectancy of GPS units [Re: drahthaar]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
Haertig,I can agree with what you are saying.But as you said,"while it is working" is the point I was trying to make.I think it is not an "either or" situation.They(map and compass/GPS)should be used in tandem.If the GPS should fail,you are ready and situated with map.GPS can be a great tool to confirm your orienteering skills also.Will I use/own one?Sure.Will I completely trust it? NEVER!I have seen a friends GPS showing we were looking at the Pacific ocean.We were at the Little Creek Naval Base in Virginia.There are many stories on this forum that has strengthened this opinion.I was just stating what is JMHO.If I had offended you I am sorry.

BOATMAN
John

#263995 - 10/04/13 01:15 PM Re: Life Expectancy of GPS units [Re: drahthaar]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
There is also the "green factor."

Tin-lead solder formulas are very well known and very reliable.

For green reasons the lead is being removed from the solder formula used in consumer products.
This has resulted in a drop in the reliability of solder connections and the opportunity for consumers to experience failures due to 'tin whisker' growth which causes spontaneous short circuits.

Lead-free solder is prohibited from use on spacecraft and critical military equipment because of this unreliability factor. But you the consumer can tolerate these failures.

(I had a Rino nearly melt down in its very early usage. Probably due to a stray solder ball from manufacturing shorting the battery. Was under warranty so was replaced.)

I'm going on an expedition this weekend and taking a backup GPS because being unable to record points and tracks would seriously hamper the goals of the project.

Edited by unimogbert (10/04/13 01:16 PM)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
2 registered (Ren, chaosmagnet), 272 Guests and 53 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by brandtb
05/01/24 10:50 PM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.