The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#262894 - 08/26/13 11:15 PM Klymit - another hightech clothes
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Just found these guys by accident: http://www.klymit.com/index.php/
No affiliation, just love any innovations in outdoors clothing department. In short: among the other stuff, they are making inflatable with the Argon (noble gas) vests and jackets (just one model of jacket actually so far), which can be inflated/deflated as you go to regulate the body core heat dissipation. They are claiming about 3 times improvement of insulation compared to the ordinary fabrics at the same weight mark. Also I saw a third party vendors making compatible shells (windbreaker type jackets) for these.

Here is the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg0qXTDeeKk&feature=player_embedded

I think it's really neat idea. I believe that in addition to the insulation, the individually inflated vest could also minimize (and regulate) air circulation between the skin and clothing as an additional benefit.

#262951 - 08/27/13 07:53 PM Re: Klymit - another hightech clothes [Re: Alex]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Interesting. What is the base insulation value, without argon gas inflating the clothing? And I couldn't determine the weight on the argon gas canisters, that should be factored in to our carry weight or summit weight. I guess I'm hinky about becoming dependent on a noble gas for my insulation, but that doesn't mean it might not have value for others.

#262954 - 08/27/13 08:27 PM Re: Klymit - another hightech clothes [Re: Alex]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

I have no answer to that. It's better to ask them or search on their site. For the argon - you can always opt for the dry air hand pump (included by default, as far as I understood). Here is the comparison chart: http://www.klymit.com/index.php/technology/nobletek-technology.html

#262956 - 08/27/13 09:42 PM Re: Klymit - another hightech clothes [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Are there any reports/evaluations from field use? I am just a bit skeptical.....

#262963 - 08/28/13 12:09 AM Re: Klymit - another hightech clothes [Re: hikermor]
ki6lbc Offline
Stranger

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Argon is relatively standard insulation inside the diving dry suit for those who dive on helium mixes since helium has very bad insulation characteristics. There is less difference in the insulation between argon and air/nitrox but people still like to use it for an extra warm (some experiments show no difference between air and argon).

The question is how it will work on the surface. Most likely it should work good enough on air and argon will just add complexity without noticeable improvement in the insulation.

#262964 - 08/28/13 12:46 AM Re: Klymit - another hightech clothes [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: hikermor
..... I am just a bit skeptical.....
I am extremely skeptical. One thing to keep in mind is that any material impermeable enough to hold argon would presumably also be impermeable to water vapor. In other words, this clothing would likely not be "breathable" at all.

Also, one would also need to carry the "Quickshot" refill cannisters and "Klymitizer" valve to adjust the amount of argon filling. Interestingly enough, the website fails to note the weight of these accessories.

It all looks like a pile of steer poop to me.

#262965 - 08/28/13 01:06 AM Re: Klymit - another hightech clothes [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
At least you don't have to contend with cactus spines in Alaska. I believe that is correct...Are there any Alaskan cacti?

We have lots down here in the SW corner of the US. We could probably spare a few....

#262966 - 08/28/13 02:16 AM Re: Klymit - another hightech clothes [Re: ]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I am skeptical of how effective their stuff is. It reminds me of Columbia's "Omni-Heat" fiasco. They sent a lot of free jackets out (Blast and I got a few) and I felt no warmer in their stuff.

I looked at these a year or so back.. All I could think of was "As soon as those batteries run out, I'm gonna hate that jacket.." and "I just don't see those wires standing up to too many washings..."..

#262986 - 08/28/13 04:18 PM Re: Klymit - another hightech clothes [Re: RNewcomb]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Regardless of subject: most innovations will require a certain change in habits. Use dry cleaning instead of washing. Make sure you have enough (i.e. double what you might need) battery power with you on an outing, that's all. Sure thing, some technologies are not for an average Joe.

#262987 - 08/28/13 05:37 PM Re: Klymit - another hightech clothes [Re: Alex]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Alex
....... some technologies are not for an average Joe.
True enough. It is also true that some technologies do not perform as claimed. Some technologies also prove to be ineffectve and/or impractical for their suggested use.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (dougwalkabout), 521 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
1 second ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.